Digital Distrubution Topic

iBushay

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Gamers,

As anyone from the UK is aware, HMV, Blockbuster and Game have all gone into administration at least once since 2012.
One of the reasons for this is the lack of sales of physical media due to the change in distribution from physical to digital.
I'm genuinely interested in how a sample of the community, being gamers, are affected by this change. Therefore I'm currently writing a research paper to outline some of the changes.
If anyone has any insight or interest in this area I would like this post to be the base of discussion as a lot of the information here can be forwarded to my research. I do appreciate anyone taking the time to give even a small response.
Some of the main questions to consider could be:

-Has the way you purchase games changed in the past 24 months?
-Do you prefer to buy physical copies of games or are you content with a digital version? why?
-Have any changes in your area affected the way you purchase games?
-Is there anything you like/dislike about distribution of digital media? (Think origin, steam, blizzard)
-Would you make any changes to new methods of distribution?
-How do you think digital distribution is affecting copyrighting? (Think piratebay)
edit: - Do you think game prices are becoming unreasonable? If so, why?

These are just a few of the areas that could be discussed and any more would be a great help. This is completely open-ended, you can give as long or as short an answer as you like.
Even better for me would be a personal conversation with a person so if you would like to take part in a personal discussion please message me and we can set up a chat room.

Kind Regards to all Forum users and Gamers.
Alex

Last edited:

Narcotics

Rising Star
I always buy my games online using hukd to source out the bargains. The digital version as the disk and case is worthless once you put the digital code in. I do still buy some on disk like limited editions.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey Alex,

Im 29 live in Aberdeenshire, Scotland and consider myself as a heavy duty gamer.

The way i have been purchasing games recently has changed quite a bit. I originally only owned an Xbox purchasing only Hard Copies of games, keeping only about 3 at a time of various types eg, 1 FPS, 1 Hack and Slash and 1 Adventure. My reason for doing this is 1) I dont see the point in owning games of similar game play, i would just get bored of the repetition and 2) More chance i'd finish them quick and retain the value to trade in for future titles. Tesco have since stopped doing trade ins, Blockbusters prices are becoming unreasonable and Game give you better deals off new games other than trade ins. I also tried Xbox digital media however although convenient are extremely high priced and you also loose trade in value. After buying a gaming PC im finding most of my purchases are on this platform as these games seem to be purchased at much better deals which makes me more likely to keep a back catologue of games and i don't mind the lack of trade in as buying a new game isn't breaking the bank.

Now i prefer Download copies although having to up my internet usage i am also terrible with storing physical copies of games, with a CD key i have access to the game when ever i like and don't have to worry about physical storage or damage. Some games however are causing problems such as Batman's Arkham City, when ever i have to do a re install of windows i use another token of the CD key and am now onto my last of 8 i think, once this is all used it will cause me problems obviously.

The closure of game stores and vendors within the Aberdeen are hasn't been to drastic, mostly duplicate stores shutting down which doesn't affect me as a customer but i feel due to the reduced competition Blockbuster in Inverurie in particular have responded by giving customers reduced value for their trade in titles and increased the resale value of their games. I took a look at lunch time and they were selling copies of New Black Ops 2 for £49.99 Standard New £45.99 Preowned and a trade in value of £20. I feel that this is taking advantage of the lack of competition. Though i do realize they are struggling at the moment. As a regular customer they have called me twice in the last month trying to secure preorders from me. However im no longer interested.

I really like the idea of online retailers but worry about the point where each publisher has their own store, the great think about Steam is you feel a bit of unity, all your games in one place with great social abilities.

I cant think of any improvements i would make to digital distribution except from the prices of console games. PC distribution prices seem quite reasonable.

I havent had much experience with pirate software, its not something im willing to try really as i feel it would damage my game experience and damage the future updates of the game itself. On the console i have experienced may exploits and glitchers and it really ruins the experience for me. Gaming for me though is not about finishing top, its about having a laugh with my other gamers and i find that the people most likely to pirate and hack games are the competitive types that cannot win without cheating. I feel with Steam a simple CD Key seems quite effective from keeping iligitimate games and gamers out of the circle and i feel gives a much safer and secure gaming environment.

Hope this is the kind of answers you were looking for, sorry for the rushed responces and bad grammer.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I like buying physical copies, as I like to collect my favorite titles, total war for example. But, stores like HMV/game/gamestation, etc etc are a rip off and maximum price. So i completely boycott stores.

So I started, to buy physical copies online from amazon/zavvi/play etc etc. Was was a bit cheaper, however, recently I have stopped buying new releases, mainly because of the price and reinforced by the fact I'm stick of paying 30 odd for naf PC games, (warfighter for example). So now if i want a game, (that's not total war) I simply wait till the next steam sale any buy cheap. But, a problem with digital distribution is in relation internet speed. I have about 5mb here, which gives me a high ping and slow download times... So makes me avoid online play as I get nailed all the time... and awful to download large games...

Also, what does my head in. Companies making us PC gamers waiting months for "new" releases, then just giving us crap console ports! So I boycott them too hahah

But for me, many games are becoming "samey", look at the all the FPS shooters... similar games...slightly different yet short story lines... (lol warfighter, cod, etc etc) Yeah they may look slightly better than the last, but most are pretty crap. 30 quid for 4-6 hours singleplayer... mixed in with repetitive online multiplayer modes.