Digitising film collection?

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Hi Folks,

I want to rip all my DVDs onto my pc so that I can watch them straight off the PC via HDMI to the telly. Does anyone know any decent software for this process? I want my PC to act as a home theatre system as well as for working/gaming etc.

Cheers!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I purchased DVD Catalyst which works great, its best feature is converting them to a format appropriate for almost every mobile phone/tablet etc, but I think there are also TV/HD formats available, I think it cost me $10

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Thanks! I don't think I'll be wanting to covert them - I just want them to play back on my telly :)

Well to get a DVD to work from a file and not the disc, they must be converted. This program gives you plenty of presets to help you decide resolution, quality, format etc

tom_gr7

Life Serving
As surround sound is generally recorded on the dvd itself, you would think that it would rip with the file... but if not you would need a soundcard that encodes in Dolby Digital. then sound hardware capable of decoding the signal into DD.

I considered doing the same thing, but just decided to stick with the DVD's, saying that I dont have a dvd drive in my pc anymore....