Disappointed with Optimus V withdrawal

painty

Hi

I would just like to say that i am very disappointed that the Optimus V 15" laptop has been discontinued. I was looking at this laptop for some time and due to purchase this week only to find that it had been discontinued and replaced with, in my opinion an inferior product in the Optimus VI.

The new Optimus is more expensive (due to having a better gfx card) but has less SO-DIMM slots, only allowing up to 16GB RAM and does not allow you to have 2 hard drives plus and optical drive. I wanted this laptop as it gave great value for money and RAM upgradeability. I need a laptop to run multiple VMs so having more than 16GB ram is essential. I'm not overly fussed about gfx card as it won't be much of a gaming machine, just the odd game here and there but nothing requiring huge specs.

Regarding the optical i know this is a dying medium and you can get the caddy etc but having the ability to have 2 drives plus the optical was a huge bonus. The price point on this laptop was a massive boost too, i specced it with an i7 quad core cpu, 1x8GB ram, samsung 850 250GB ssd with 750GB 7200rpm, optical drive, arctic paste, extended warranty all for approx £750. The new one works out at about £150 more expensive, with less RAM slots.

Why are the only laptops that can handle more RAM so much more expensive? I'm not interested in having the latest gfx card but it seems the only laptops with more dimm slots are high end gaming rigs. I really think there should be a mid range laptop with the same motherboard as the optimus V as this has stopped me buying a new laptop.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
That's more to do with Clevo rather than PCS, not sure about the reason why it has been taken down but if it is due to being discontinue by Clevo then PCS has no other choice but to take it off. how about the cosmos laptop?

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
My apologies for the Optimus V being discontinued.

Sadly this was because the manufacturers of the chassis made this one end of life! As for the new design of the Optimus laptop, sadly we do not have any control over the amount of ram slots.

painty

That's more to do with Clevo rather than PCS, not sure about the reason why it has been taken down but if it is due to being discontinue by Clevo then PCS has no other choice but to take it off. how about the cosmos laptop?

Unfortunately the Cosmos only allows 16GB of RAM. I need a laptop capable of more.