Discworld Novels - Your Favourites?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I’ve finally completed my unpacking of all my bits and pieces after a year living at the same address, books are now all shelved.

Whilst my mother and sister are the true Pratchett fans in the family (their knowledge is in the annoyingly encyclopaedic category), I’m just looking at the books in my admittedly smaller collection and assessing which books I like the most. I’d love to hear what others have to say about things! Some of my favourites follow…

Men at Arms - The second novel about the city watch and really opens up the characterisation of the cast. I love how it develops Vimes and Carrot.

Night Watch - A time travelling odyssey, I was already heavily invested in these characters, so much fun to see them as their younger selves in a real roller coaster ride.

Small Gods - The most difficult read from the entire catalogue, to me it’s a book that asks more questions than it answers… but seeing as it’s a satire about religion, that’s to be expected.

Mort / Reaper Man - Cheating here…a two novel swing. Books that challenge the nature of our preconceptions of death. I wish I had the right font to do the official DEATH VOICE.

Spoiler that will annoy some people….
I’ve never liked the Rincewind books. Convert me if you can! 🙂👍

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I gave up trying to get through the first book. The various series on tv didn’t encourage me to try again.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I read the Discworlds a long time ago. Mort was definitely one of my favourites but I moved onto Robert Rankin after not too long and never went back.

ColEyt

Gold Level Poster
Read the whole series on numerous occasions.

Like yourself AgentCooper I was never enamoured with the Rincewind series, the Witches and the City Watch series were a lot more enjoyable, and I felt more subtle with the humour.

Favourite books :

Wyrd Sisters
Thief of Time
Jingo
Thud
Going Postal

I probably read the first book The Colour of Magic about 5 years before I tried another, as it just didn't capture my attention. As Bigfoot mentioned the various tv adaptions were not good, even Going Postal which I have as one of my favourite stories, just seemed not to be able to transfer the humour from book to screen

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Tried out The Watch on TV, as the reviews said that Discworld fans wouldn’t like it. Neither did I.

CMP01

Enthusiast
Why, all of them to be sure...

But ok, I'll admit I've missed a handful, a couple of earlier ones and a couple of the more recent... and it's been an age since I read any tbh but I still remember my first, Moving Pictures, like it was yesterday (I was 14 so it was 1991-92... like a lifetime ago)
I'm still gutted about Gaspode btw...
Anyway, I'll catch up one day but there's so damn many great books and authors out there...