'Disk' in task manager 100%

Haz311289

Silver Level Poster
I am currently using a defiance 17.3" laptop and have been noticing the laptop not running as fast as i feel it should, when looking in task manager the 'Disk' is always running at 100% with barely any apps running, i've tried a few solutions online such as 'Reset virtual memory', 'Disable Superfetch' & 'Disable Windows Search' but with no success.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am currently using a defiance 17.3" laptop and have been noticing the laptop not running as fast as i feel it should, when looking in task manager the 'Disk' is always running at 100% with barely any apps running, i've tried a few solutions online such as 'Reset virtual memory', 'Disable Superfetch' & 'Disable Windows Search' but with no success.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

What Disc have you got?

crioni

windows will do that for a couple of days until it gets everything up to date.

if you just enforce the updates faster it will stop.
Sometimes windows scans your files as well.

Also like ubuysa suggested it might be cause you don't have enough ram and the system is caching stuff on your hdd/ssd

Haz311289

Silver Level Poster
This is my setup guys:

Chassis & Display Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 6700HQ (2.6GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1, G-SYNC
1st Hard Disk 1TB SLIM SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
Memory Card Reader Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor 1 x 200W AC Adaptor
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Def. Audio + MIC/Headphone + SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3

Haz311289

Silver Level Poster
I've just spoke to PCS and they have said my harddrive is too slow at 5,400rpm and suggested an SSD, also windows keeps trying to redownload a update which keeps failing..

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've just spoke to PCS and they have said my harddrive is too slow at 5,400rpm and suggested an SSD, also windows keeps trying to redownload a update which keeps failing..

I think it's the windows update that's causing the issue, not the speed of the HDD, that would just produce slow seeks not 100% disk usage.
The windows update issue is a known issue in windows 10.

Try the following in an admin cmd prompt:

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits

- and deleting everything in C:\SoftwareDistribution

- then restarting the 2 services:

net start bits
net start wuauserv

If that doesn't resolve the windows update issue, I'd suggest a reinstall of windows.

Haz311289

Silver Level Poster
Thank you i'll give that a try also, i have stopped windows update for the time being and Disk usage is down to 40%, running much better. Still thinking of getting that SSD as well.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The HDD is the weakest link in your setup. Most performance problems are caused by poor HDD performance and a 5400rpm spindle speed makes quite a difference. The issue isn't so much the speed of the disk (and it's the latency and the data transfer rate that is slow on a 5400rpm drive, not necessarily the seeks) it's the I/O queue depth. That's the number of input-output (I/O) operations queued up for the drive. The slower the drive performance the longer the queue depth and that's what's reported in disk activity.

An SSD will make a huge difference because the individual I/O operations will run much faster, and with a faster data transfer rate, so the queue depth will not be anywhere near as large.

Windows update is always an issue because it has to write to the disk very often to apply the updates, on a slow 5400rpm HDD these can build a sizeable I/O queue.....

Haz311289

Silver Level Poster
Ah OK that explains a lot, I think i'm going to go for the 256gb samsung SSD from the PCS website and then do a fresh install of windows on it

Haz311289

Silver Level Poster
Fingers crossed, it should be arriving tomorrow.. now to figure out how to fit it and reinstall windows onto the SSD

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Fingers crossed, it should be arriving tomorrow.. now to figure out how to fit it and reinstall windows onto the SSD

If it's a SATA SSD it should just be a straight swap for your exiting HDD. You then boot the Windows install media and go.... :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's an M2 SSD so i'm guessing it goes beside it, i'm gonna give PCS a call now

It's really still the same advice, the M.2 SSD will show up in the Windows install media as just another drive and you simply select that drive to install Windows...

shuttsies

If you did not want to do a fresh install. I would recommend using MiniTool Partition Wizard. It's free and has a clone to SSD option.
What you might find is, if you don't take out the old hard disk during dvd/usb install, Windows might put the boot partition on the old disk. When you go to take it out, windows no longer loads.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/fre... Edit: Always back up everything beforehand!!

Haz311289

Silver Level Poster
All installed and ready, so much quicker. I installed windows and then dragged stuff over between HDD and SSD, then formatted the HDD