Display/Hardware error

Pauljenks

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE S BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-6700k Quad Core (4.00GHz @ up to 4.60GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® Z170 PRO GAMING: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX SAVAGE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB Kit)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB SAMSUNG PM951 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 1000MB/R, 280MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
LED Lighting
2 x 50cm Green LED Strip
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
TIMED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND - MON-FRI (BEFORE 2PM)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days

Since upgrading my GTX 1080 driver a few weeks ago I keep getting an intermitant error on my pc.
My screen goes black for approx 5-10 secs then it comes back on.
Looking at my reliability monitor i get

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffb18eee461460
Parameter 2: fffff803535e5390
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 40b0
OS version: 10_0_19045
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.19045.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057

I have since reinstalled my gpu driver again but still get the error.
I have included the system log if that is any use.
Can anyone help?

Bhuna50

Author Level
How did you install the drivers - both times?

Did you ensure you had removed the driver properly - use DDU - and then reinstall the previous driver that was working - test that to see if it is the upgraded driver that has caused the problem.

Pauljenks

How did you install the drivers - both times?

Did you ensure you had removed the driver properly - use DDU - and then reinstall the previous driver that was working - test that to see if it is the upgraded driver that has caused the problem
1st time I downloaded the driver from Nvidia's website. I included driver, physx, hd audio and geforce experience.
2nd time did the same.

This time as per your advice I installed DDU first then ran it for a clean uninstall of my graphics driver then it auto reset my computer.

Went back to Nvidia website, installed latest driver for my gtx 1080 with hd audio AND geforce experience turned off this time. Hopefully this will fix problem.

I've checked my GPU temperature. It runs from 30° to 50° on average so hopefully it's not my graphics card on its way out.

Last question, was it ok leaving geforce experience out? Or should I reinstall driver with it included.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Last question, was it ok leaving geforce experience out? Or should I reinstall driver with it included.
Personally, I'd install geforce experience, but leave out the HDAudio component.

And it's probably worth installing the last driver version rather than the latest to rule out the new driver as the cause.

Pauljenks

Personally, I'd install geforce experience, but leave out the HDAudio component.

And it's probably worth installing the last driver version rather than the latest to rule out the new driver as the cause.
Having various blackouts and errors now. will try to roll back driver. Since installing this new driver ive had this problem. if the problem persist ill reinstall windows.

Reliability.JPG

Pauljenks

Looking at my driver history in windows update i installed the new update on the 17 of nov. Looking at the reliability monitor above and my probles started on that day.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The 0x141 error code in that log message is a VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED and there will be a live kernel dump in the folder C:\WIndows\LiveKernelDumps. You should look thorough all sub-folders in there and upload all .dmp files you find. That will help me identify whether this is a driver or graphics card problem.

From what you're saying however, this would seem on the face of it to be a driver problem. Pleasse roll back to the previous driver you had installed and see whether it's stable.

Pauljenks

The 0x141 error code in that log message is a VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED and there will be a live kernel dump in the folder C:\WIndows\LiveKernelDumps. You should look thorough all sub-folders in there and upload all .dmp files you find. That will help me identify whether this is a driver or graphics card problem.

From what you're saying however, this would seem on the face of it to be a driver problem. Pleasse roll back to the previous driver you had installed and see whether it's stable.

Attachments

• dmp.JPG
    dmp.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 32

Pauljenks

wont let me move it. Have rolled back to an earlier driver before the crashes. It still crashes even as im typing this lol. Im going to have to reinstall windows i think.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Are you using an Administrator account? An admin account should be able to access all dump files, if you can't then that's a BIG worry.

Pauljenks

I've now uninstalled the graphics driver again. I'm using the microsoft display basic adapter in device manager. no crashes.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Reliability.JPG
    Reliability.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 31

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've now uninstalled the graphics driver again. I'm using the microsoft display basic adapter in device manager. no crashes.
Microsoft driver isn't accessing the graphics card properly, it's just a basic display driver, works with any GPU

Pauljenks

Microsoft driver isn't accessing the graphics card properly, it's just a basic display driver, works with any GPU
As soon as i install a graphics driver windows intermitantly crashes and restarts itself. Maybe the graphics card is failing. This computer is 7 years old now :-(

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you can't access dumps from an administrator account then you have more serious problems
Does make me wonder what version of windows 10 it’s on, if it’s an out of support version, if perhaps it’s not been receiving further updates which has left the OS compromised.

I always expect the worst in any given situation, I very much doubt this is the case, it’s just the first thing my brain goes to

Pauljenks

When this popped up after the last crash i was ready to pull my hair out lol. I just removed the drive from the computer and reinstalled windows on the m2 ssd. ive installed the latest driver for my gtx 1080 and am now downloading games from steam to see if finally no more crashes. /crosses fingers

Attachments

• 368064987_355221023798544_1718315902268087813_n.jpg
    368064987_355221023798544_1718315902268087813_n.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 27