Do fans on PCS laptops not run by default? Should I install the "Command Center" driv

Fuzzball

Bronze Level Poster
Do fans on PCS laptops not run by default? Should I install the "Command Center" driv

Currently setting up a powerful 17.3" Octane II laptop I bought. I've noticed in the the User's Manual it talks of a "Control Center" where you can adjust certain things, including fan speed. This doesn't seem to come up when I press the buttons for it on my keyboard, so I guess maybe PCS didn't install it with the other drivers when building my laptop. I'm not too fussed about something like that, so haven't installed the driver myself yet.

However, I am noticing that parts of the laptop are getting quite warm, and I can't really hear much fan activity... I can hear what sounds like a fan whirring, but it's pretty quiet. Do PCS laptop fans not run properly unless this "Control Center" driver is installed? Or do they adjust for heavy activity by themselves? Or are they just super quiet and efficient? Does seem odd that the laptop is getting a bit warm already, when I haven't done much else than install programs on it.

EDIT: Realised it's actually called "Control Center", so I've changed that in this post, but can't edit the title.

Last edited:

deanparkr

Hi

I have the Octane II 15.6. I also did not have command center installed. You can install it via "My Account" on the PCS website and then going to your order and choosing "Downloads". Then you can configure fan settings.

The machine does get warm and the fans stay quiet for some time. It seems normal, but you can of course tweak this as required.

Fuzzball

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, in the end I installed the Control Center myself. (Had to use the disc provided because I couldn't work out which download it was on the website.)

Seems the fans are working OK, but are just quiet. The Control Center doesn't seem to give a great deal of fan control though. I can either set them to Maximum, where they whirr away loudly (which I guess is useful when I need to cool things down quick); Automatic where they don't seem to be particularly active; or Custom which actually only seemed to let me tell the fans to "turn on" at no lower than 50 Celsius and then "turn off" at 40 Celsius. Doesn't seem very preventative.

I guess in the end I'll leave it on Automatic for the most part and see how the temperature handles when it comes to running games. Hopefully because the laptop has powerful hardware it won't warm up too much with games, as it's better at handling them?

The Control Center indicated the laptop was generally running at around 50 Celsius. Is that acceptable? At what temperature do I need to be worried?