Do I have an overheating problem?

riccohb

My laptop has started regularly powering itself off. It can happen any time, but it's usually when the machine is doing something taxing eg playing a game. I'm also seeing a lot of BSODs. The graph below shows the temperature over all cores over a period when it powered itself off twice (you can see when this happens because of the temperature drops). The temperature of all cores is constantly in the 90s. Is this normal or is it a problem? (I'm assuming that the loss of power is due to overheating, but I don't know what temperatures constitute overheating).

temp.png

My spec:

Chassis & DisplayOptimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive500GB SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive256GB WD Black™ M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 2050MB/s R | 700MB/s W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
BatteryOptimus VIII Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteEK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound CardIntel 2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema 3
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8265 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) +BT 4.0, vPRO
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.0 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Thanks in advance.

riccohb

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I didn't even know that was a thing. I've owned computers since the days of 386's and I've never had one serviced.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I didn't even know that was a thing. I've owned computers since the days of 386's and I've never had one serviced.
Any gaming laptop will need to be repasted and heatsink cleaned out once a year really, otherwise it will thermal throttle and overheat.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Any gaming laptop will need to be repasted and heatsink cleaned out once a year really, otherwise it will thermal throttle and overheat.
A thread on the subject here

riccohb

Excellent, thanks for your replies. Before I did anything I just wanted to make sure that it was actually a potential heat problem.