Do I have enough PCI/E slots available for extra graphics card?

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Hi.

I am looking to get a configuration including the following:

- Asus Sabertooth P67
2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
3 x PCIe 2.0 x1
1 x PCI

- 1x ATI HD6970
- Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio (PCIe according to manufacture website)
- Wireless Network card PCI

The website when clicking proceed (to test config) tells me that there's too many PCI cards because the Sound Blaster is one too, even though according to Creatives website it is a PCIe.

Is this just an error with custom build system?

I am also trying to leave an extra PCIe x16 for an additional HD6970 upgrade in the future. Am I missing anything as to why this can't be done or should this all work fine?

Last edited:

Teaz

Godlike
apparently its a pci? unfortunately if you add any pci cards in, you will not have room to add in a second 6970 as a 6970 will take out 2 slots or blocks. in order to fit a second in future, you will need to use pci-e only. so this applies to the wireless card aswel.

once you add in the second 6970 in future, you will have no spare slots in future unless you take something out like the wireless card or sound card or yet for more free space, the second gpu. so plan wisely if you ever wish to add more.

in my view, you better off getting a slim line sound card like the Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium which still has better sound quality and its a pci-e. this is to allow space and easier fitting and some breathing room for the 1st gpu.

i've worked out a plan for you to use for ref if ever needed which you could consider following to help you:

p9et5gga.png

red is for the 6970 gpus and the yellow is for the wirelss and sound card. you can choose where to have the wireless and sound. the slots i didnt circle will not be usable as the 6970 will cover then due to the size.

hope this helps you in planning :)

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Thank you very much Teaz, that has actually helped me a lot!
Great post, it's much appreciated!!!