Do I need a PCS Liquid Series® Laptop Cooler?

Hi,

Recently I purchased a 17" Recoil 4090, 64RAM, i9 13900HX, 2x 2TB Samsung 990 Pro. All good so far, everything works as expected, however during gaming the laptop's surface becomes uncomfortably hot for my left WSAD hand, to the point I have to shortly interrupt the activity. Using the nVidia overlay, I can see that during a session of Cyberpunk 2077 (all settings Ultra, DLSS active), while I do achieve a great average of 120 fps, the GPU temp goes up to 80-85 degrees, where it settles. Another game I am playing, World of Tanks, takes the GPU temp to 72-75 degrees. I consider these temperatures perfectly normal in these conditions, I have no issues with it, but unfortunately, in both cases, the sessions need to be interrupted shortly, to allow the laptop's surface temperature to cool down enough for the hand to rest comfortably on it. I am using a regular laptop cooler, underneath its base, but it doesn't help with the front surface cooling.

I tried to find more information about this PCS Liquid Series® Laptop Cooler, which I initially considered not necessary, but couldn't find anything meaningful and clarifying. Is there any chance you can advise me if this device would help with my problem? What is the average temperature drop if this device is used?

Thank you for your support!
Alex

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That model will thermal throttle without the water cooler, so won't run at it's best performance and will run hot.

I was incorrect in the past, the water cooler only cools the GPU lane, not the CPU.

I'll PM you quite an in depth first hand test of the cooler unit and explanations as to it's benefits, it's worth a look.

But yes, I think for optimal performance, that model really requires the water cooler.

That being said though, you shouldn't be feeling that much heat through the chassis, I'd suggest giving PCS a call about that, that seems a little off.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you, I decided to purchase a water cooler and, if the laptop's surface will still be hot, then I'll approach PCS.
Cheers!
I'd be interested in your findings with the cooler, it's still a very new chassis and we haven't had any feedback yet on the cooler performance.

Keep us posted, hopefully it improves it substantially

So, long story short, the cooler arrived today and I installed it immediately (a manual would've helped, but thankfully I used the link you sent me and I found out that I could download the XMG Oasis pdf from their website, which I did). The installation and activation went like a charm, no issues. At the first sight, it looks like the cooler has an impressive influence over the laptop's behaviour: if before I'd play Cyberpunk 2077 on Ultra with 110 FPS average and GPU temp 75-77 degrees and on Psycho 95 FPS/80-81 degrees, with the cooler working on Auto mode, I've achieved on Psycho mode 130 FPS avg and... 65 degrees temps (it actually fluctuates between 58 and 67)!!! In addition, the laptop's surface temperature decreased sufficiently to not be a bother for the hand, in fact I didn't even noticed the hotness during the 3-4 hours of play. It's still warm, but definitely not disturbing.

It's a pity that the CPU loop is not cooled as well, but its temp doesn't go over 60-65 during this game, so not an issue.

I believe that, if the PCS would've offered this laptop with a mechanical keyboard (like many other manufactureres), this laptop would be a great succes!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Thanks for the update, very useful for the rest of us. If you were able to keep us updated on the effectiveness and longevity of the cooler over time it’d be really welcome and useful information for the hive mind 🙂👍

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, long story short, the cooler arrived today and I installed it immediately (a manual would've helped, but thankfully I used the link you sent me and I found out that I could download the XMG Oasis pdf from their website, which I did). The installation and activation went like a charm, no issues. At the first sight, it looks like the cooler has an impressive influence over the laptop's behaviour: if before I'd play Cyberpunk 2077 on Ultra with 110 FPS average and GPU temp 75-77 degrees and on Psycho 95 FPS/80-81 degrees, with the cooler working on Auto mode, I've achieved on Psycho mode 130 FPS avg and... 65 degrees temps (it actually fluctuates between 58 and 67)!!! In addition, the laptop's surface temperature decreased sufficiently to not be a bother for the hand, in fact I didn't even noticed the hotness during the 3-4 hours of play. It's still warm, but definitely not disturbing.

It's a pity that the CPU loop is not cooled as well, but its temp doesn't go over 60-65 during this game, so not an issue.

I believe that, if the PCS would've offered this laptop with a mechanical keyboard (like many other manufactureres), this laptop would be a great succes!
Wow, I didn't expect the cooler to make that much of a difference, but that's really good to hear.

I think it definitely is the case that the recoils really need the watercooler, good to know.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Wow, impressive Oo
But it's sad that to fully enjoy your laptop, you have to buy an accessory.
(sorry, i really have a mixed feeling with this ...)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Wow, impressive Oo
But it's sad that to fully enjoy your laptop, you have to buy an accessory.
(sorry, i really have a mixed feeling with this ...)
I fully agree, it's a shame really that it doesn't work as it could out of the box.