Do not accept Amex credit card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

micpan

Just wanted to express my disappointment that PCS do not accept Amex cards.

I currently have a promotion that would have earned me 5% cashback. I factored in the purchase of a PC when applying for my card, so after receiving it then spending weeks researching and speccing out a PC and finally getting to the point of ordering it only to have it declined is a bitter blow.

I have no choice but to abandon purchasing from PCS altogether as a result of this.

Can't say i'm surprised that they don't accept it. We stopped accepting it at the Golf Club due to their unreasonable rates.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just wanted to express my disappointment that PCS do not accept Amex cards.

I currently have a promotion that would have earned me 5% cashback. I factored in the purchase of a PC when applying for my card, so after receiving it then spending weeks researching and speccing out a PC and finally getting to the point of ordering it only to have it declined is a bitter blow.

I have no choice but to abandon purchasing from PCS altogether as a result of this.
Hardly any online store accepts Amex in the UK, they charge outrageous fees, I’m sure you’ve already experienced the wealth of places that don’t accept it, it’s been that way for over a decade now:

RaffScallion

Was a bit disappointing for me too, not really had a problem with AmEx being accepted otherwise but from the sound of that article, semi-justified

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Was a bit disappointing for me too, not really had a problem with AmEx being accepted otherwise but from the sound of that article, semi-justified
It's very much a dying form of payment, around the world more places than not don't accept it, and that's only increasing with time. Unless they change their charges, they'll go under.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Does that 5% cash back include interest free ?

Is it really a deal breaker just because you can’t pay on Amex? Adjust your order slightly and take advantage of the interest free year finance (bar a processing fee).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

micpan

It is interest free as long as the balance is paid off each month.

If anything it seems its use is becoming more widespread, I can even use it in Lidl or Aldi to pay for my groceries!

Gavras

Master Poster
It is interest free as long as the balance is paid off each month.

If anything it seems its use is becoming more widespread, I can even use it in Lidl or Aldi to pay for my groceries!
It used to be widespread, then retailers got fed up with being ripped off with charges.

I had one in last job as company card, nightmare travelling when most places do not accept them.

They really are poor cards.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I factored in the purchase of a PC when applying for my card, so after receiving it then spending weeks researching and speccing out a PC and finally getting to the point of ordering it only to have it declined is a bitter blow.
Sorry, I’ve just spotted this thread and can’t help but be drawn to this particular statement... if you were doing weeks of research, did it not cross your mind to check the payment side of things?

I think the financial aspect was one of the very first things I investigated... and I wasn’t intending to buy with a card which is notorious for not being accepted as payment in the UK.

It’s disappointing that you feel that this puts you off purchasing from PCS but there’s a lesson to be learned from all this, I suppose.

micpan

Sorry, I’ve just spotted this thread and can’t help but be drawn to this particular statement... if you were doing weeks of research, did it not cross your mind to check the payment side of things?

There was another thread where someone said he'd contacted PCS but had no reply about it and weeks had gone by. Can find it if you really like.

I did a test couple of weeks ago by going through checkout and putting in card details, it detected I had American express and asked for CVV so it all looked promising.

So for £50 you’ve decided against a PC then?

I've decided against using PCS unfortunately, yes. It may sound like a small amount but I have a strict budget and in the current climate don't have the luxury of stretching it for a novelty item.

Hardly any online store accepts Amex in the UK, they charge outrageous fees, I’m sure you’ve already experienced the wealth of places that don’t accept it, it’s been that way for over a decade now:

I've only encountered one place thus far actually. I will see if Overclockers accept it. I'd be interested to know just what the fees were exactly. Say that they were 3% then PCS would be charged £30 but surely that's acceptable given they will now be losing out on the £900+ that I will now be taking elsewhere?

It would also be very infrequent that they get these charges too because the vast majority would not use this payment method.

Status
Not open for further replies.