Do we hate Origin enough to pressure EA to go back to steam?

Petchi b

I dont mind Origin and I dont mind Steam either, although never really used it that much. I've had no problems so far. It is just one of those things that we have to put up with as gamers and it will only get worse, it seems this is the way forward. It wouldn't suprise me if we see more of these programs in the future.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I dont mind Origin and I dont mind Steam either, although never really used it that much. I've had no problems so far. It is just one of those things that we have to put up with as gamers and it will only get worse, it seems this is the way forward. It wouldn't suprise me if we see more of these programs in the future.

Why is it a problem? The only downside is that you havemore programs installed to handle your game. However I can guarantee you would deffinately complain if all games were through steam. Same thign with google, everyone loves the fact u can store your documents, phone numbers, emails, photos, etc etc on their servers, yet then they start to complain because "google now has a ridiculous amount of info about us". Companies will never win because customers constantly complain about what they provide.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i would imagine that having bf3 exclusively on there would mean that a lot more people would try it seeing as its EAs biggest game for a while

Dayve

I don't hate Origin at all. I remember when STEAM first came out and first started to make people install and run it to play games. The uproar was at least as loud as it is now about Origin, but the thing is, STEAM does the exact same thing Origin does but with an option to opt-out. I've never checked the option to opt-out because I know that STEAM's data collecting is only the same as a lot of websites collect from you and also a lot of other programs collect also.

Besides all that, there are many other things in my life that collect date from me. Shop loyalty cards, my bank, my employer. About a year ago I signed on jobseekers allowance, you should have heard the questions I had to answer before I could claim. They stopped short of demanding to know how many times I usually use the toilet in a day, but everything else they wanted to know, and I had to tell them.

What I'm saying is that there's enough personal information about me (and all of you) floating around the world that nothing Origin ever does can make it any worse than already is. Unless you want to go and live in a cave, there's no such thing as privacy anymore, for you, me, or even the rich elite of society who are hounded by the press everytime they step outside their doors. A better thing to worry about would be managing your image in the face of this unavoidable gaping hole where privacy used to be.

Petchi b

Why is it a problem? The only downside is that you havemore programs installed to handle your game. However I can guarantee you would deffinately complain if all games were through steam. Same thign with google, everyone loves the fact u can store your documents, phone numbers, emails, photos, etc etc on their servers, yet then they start to complain because "google now has a ridiculous amount of info about us". Companies will never win because customers constantly complain about what they provide.

If you read my message again I never actually said "it is a problem."

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
If you read my message again I never actually said "it is a problem."

You said "It is just one of those things that we have to put up with as gamers and it will only get worse, it seems this is the way forward", this sounds very much like its a problem. It may of course be a problem that you are happy to put up with, but stating that "it will only get worse" is not a way of saying "I have no problem with it" lol

Petchi b

You said "It is just one of those things that we have to put up with as gamers and it will only get worse, it seems this is the way forward", this sounds very much like its a problem. It may of course be a problem that you are happy to put up with, but stating that "it will only get worse" is not a way of saying "I have no problem with it" lol

That was meant in the sense that this is a thread about potentially hating Origin so it may be a problem for others, I never said it was a problem for me. As I said, I dont mind either Origin or Stream, it doesn't really matter which one EA end up using as they are basically the same thing anyway. I would love it if we didn't have to install extra programs just to play a game we like but that is the way it is these days. Companies are determined to get as much money out of us as possible and this is one of the ways, also it is a form of control, by advertising games and content they want you to buy at the most extreme prices.

I have only used Steam to boot up certain games and never used it in any other way, not even bought a game off Steam. And that will continue whether it's with Origin or Steam.