Do you need to be connected to internet when turning computer on first time?

toonarama

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry about the stupidity of the question but just so I know.

An email from PCS tells me that

"Most importantly, after turning on your computer for the first time you MUST NOT turn off the power to your computer until the initial Windows setup has completed. This normally takes less than five minutes to complete. If your computer is re-started or turned off during this configuration procedure there is a risk that the setup will fail, and this could result in your computer failing to run Windows, with the only available solution being a full re-installation of your operating system."

My question is does this initial set up require access to the internet?

I am asking because my new machine will not have an internal wireless card fitted as I am going to use an existing USB device and I am assuming I will not be able to install the relevant software for that until the windows set up is complete.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Mick

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry about the stupidity of the question but just so I know.

An email from PCS tells me that

"Most importantly, after turning on your computer for the first time you MUST NOT turn off the power to your computer until the initial Windows setup has completed. This normally takes less than five minutes to complete. If your computer is re-started or turned off during this configuration procedure there is a risk that the setup will fail, and this could result in your computer failing to run Windows, with the only available solution being a full re-installation of your operating system."

My question is does this initial set up require access to the internet?

I am asking because my new machine will not have an internal wireless card fitted as I am going to use an existing USB device and I am assuming I will not be able to install the relevant software for that until the windows set up is complete.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Mick

It doesn't have to be online for the finalised installation, but to Activate windows and your key, you'll need to be online. Windows will run fine unactivated for 30 days, within that time, you'll need to connect to the internet and activate windows.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Don't be afraid to ask what you think are stupid questions on here, we're all happy to help. :)

toonarama

Bronze Level Poster
Glad to know I'm in good company (!) and as it turns out (despite what the welcome booklet states) there was no windows sticker on the PC and Windows had already been registered before it was shipped

Warbloke

Bronze Level Poster
I queried about the lack of a Windows Certificate of Authentication sticker too when I received my new PC, as was worried I did not know the Windows key, should I ever need to re-install Windows.

I learned these days the sticker is not needed, as the Windows Key is stored in the BIOS.
Like you, I did not need to activate Windows - they should really update their welcome manual.

I can also confirm that while I sadly did need to reinstall Windows in the first week - due to PCS making a pigs ear of it... that indeed there were no issues doing a clean install using my own Windows 10 disk I downloaded from MS website.

It didn't ask for the key.. and it was activated without me doing anything. (I was connected to the Internet)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I queried about the lack of a Windows Certificate of Authentication sticker too when I received my new PC, as was worried I did not know the Windows key, should I ever need to re-install Windows.

I learned these days the sticker is not needed, as the Windows Key is stored in the BIOS.
Like you, I did not need to activate Windows - they should really update their welcome manual.

I can also confirm that while I sadly did need to reinstall Windows in the first week - due to PCS making a pigs ear of it... that indeed there were no issues doing a clean install using my own Windows 10 disk I downloaded from MS website.

It didn't ask for the key.. and it was activated without me doing anything. (I was connected to the Internet)

Did you order an OS with your PC?

What version of Windows did you buy? What version was installed? PCS install a test version of Windows on all computers that are ordered sans OS.

In what way way the PCS installation "a pig's ear"? What, specifically was wrong? Details are important here.

If PCS are screwing up the installation of a Windows system you paid for we need to know how (so do PCS) so it can be corrected, so lots of detail on what was wrong would be helpful.