DPD strike again

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
Just received my PC glass panels smashed! Lovely case but this seems to happen regularly!
2A6290A5-3A74-454F-9739-90231321A347.jpeg

Attachments

• 2A468FE7-34C9-4D33-A0D9-742D4FAD2641.jpeg
    2A468FE7-34C9-4D33-A0D9-742D4FAD2641.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 148

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That really sucks, sorry to see that. It's such a stunning case.

I think PCS need to revisit their packing choices and their courier choice. The hassle this must cause them is surely much more than having a good delivery service would be :confused:

Do they not double skin the boxes anymore?

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
I’ve already been on the phone and they said they will send a new side panel. Hopefully it’s easy to fix. I’m working now till 8 so can’t really tear out everything else yet to see if it’s ok!

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
I’ve already been on the phone and they said they will send a new side panel. Hopefully it’s easy to fix. I’m working now till 8 so can’t really tear out everything else yet to see if it’s ok!
Meant test not tear but must be subconscious as to how I’m feeling.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would definitely try to do that ASAP. The last thing you want is to receive the panel only to find other issues.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Take the glass out, fire it on and do some testing.

I would go with something quick and easy like 3DMark, running through Timespy, Firestrike and the likes. Make sure there's no artifacts or antyhing.

Prime 95, give the CPU & RAM a right good hammering. Before starting this make sure you have the fans on full across the board.

After that, load up some games and give it a spin.

If all checks out, I would say you are good to go. I would have a look at the temps through all of this using HWMonitor, but that would be another issue of those were off.

Even after all that though I would have a fresh download of Win10 ready along with the Chipset drivers on a USB pen. Fresh install of Windows, install chipset. Download and install the GPU drivers from the source and then run update multiple times to ensure everything is installed.

That's my level of OCD though, as with many others, so it's up to yourself. It tends to steer you away from any added complication though.

ish

Seeing this just gives me dreadful flashbacks but your dust filter has managed to stay on.

ish

I know that’s an odd one. I remember this happening to you as well @ish. Did they just send you a new panel?
I just had the whole thing sent in to be replaced as I did not want to risk having any damage done to components. Even if it meant waiting a week more it's well worth it for the peace of mind.

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
I just had the whole thing sent in to be replaced as I did not want to risk having any damage done to components. Even if it meant waiting a week more it's well worth it for the peace of mind.
They didn’t offer that on the phone to me. To be fair it didn’t look like it had been particularly battered on the box etc. I’m at work so can’t check it out until tonight fully but I’ve had a quick look and everything else seems ok. If it passes checks and there is no other visible damage then I guess it’s ok to just send the side panel.

Reactions: ish

DarTon

That's a poor result. I got my PC intact but, as I said in my review, felt the packaging was the weakest I've seen in a couple of decades of buying PCs.

If you feel unhappy/concerned just ask for a full rebuild rather than a new side panel. PCS will statistically price in a return rate due to damaged deliveries. They will know that by cutting back packaging that increases returns due to damage by y% but reducing costs by x% and this generates more margin. It's not an error, it's an explicit pricing decision.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That's a poor result. I got my PC intact but, as I said in my review, felt the packaging was the weakest I've seen in a couple of decades of buying PCs.

If you feel unhappy/concerned just ask for a full rebuild rather than a new side panel. PCS will statistically price in a return rate due to damaged deliveries. They will know that by cutting back packaging that increases returns due to damage by y% but reducing costs by x% and this generates more margin. It's not an error, it's an explicit pricing decision.
Don't forget in your criticism of PCS that they ship thousands of units a week and we're seeing only a tiny handful of damages on delivery. In addition, DPD have a responsibility to take care of every package they handle so breakages are not all down to PCS.

DarTon

Don't forget in your criticism of PCS that they ship thousands of units a week and we're seeing only a tiny handful of damages on delivery. In addition, DPD have a responsibility to take care of every package they handle so breakages are not all down to PCS.
That isn't a criticism of PCS. I'm sure PCS, like any company who has to execute a large number of deliveries, analyses delivery failure rates very carefully, and the cost will be taken account of in their model. You can package everything perfectly and send it with the best courier, but that will cost. That eats into your margin and will be passed on to the client. Passing costs onto the client makes you less competitive, reducing your volumes.

As the client, however, your contract is with PCS. DPD is utterly irrelevant. They are just a counterparty of PCS, nothing to do with you. So this is all down to PCS. The client, if they feel uncomfortable with the damage, should ask for a replacement system. PCS will have priced that into their margin. The odd replacement against hundreds of successful deliveries.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That isn't a criticism of PCS. I'm sure PCS, like any company who has to execute a large number of deliveries, analyses delivery failure rates very carefully, and the cost will be taken account of in their model. You can package everything perfectly and send it with the best courier, but that will cost. That eats into your margin and will be passed on to the client. Passing costs onto the client makes you less competitive, reducing your volumes.

As the client, however, your contract is with PCS. DPD is utterly irrelevant. They are just a counterparty of PCS, nothing to do with you. So this is all down to PCS. The client, if they feel uncomfortable with the damage, should ask for a replacement system. PCS will have priced that into their margin. The odd replacement against hundreds of successful deliveries.
Your post most certainly was a criticism of PCS, you implied that they have reduced the level of packaging.

In addition, although the customer has no contract directly with DPD its complete nonesense to claim they are irrelevant. They alone are responsible, on PCS's behalf, for delivering the package. They don't leave PCS broken that's for sure.

DarTon

I said that "I ... felt the packaging was the weakest I've seen in a couple of decades of buying PCs". That isn't criticism, it states that the packaging was weaker that I've historically observed! PCS is cheaper than some other system builders. Perhaps one reason is they cut costs in areas like packaging. PCS could improve the packaging/courier and charge me more. I wouldn't want to pay that since it would make no economic sense for me to pay £10 more to offset perhaps a 0.2% chance the PC is broken during transit.

Where I completely disagree with you is regarding DPD. PCS hires DPD to execute the delivery. The customer doesn't. Anything that goes wrong is 100% down to PCS. DPD does not enter the equation for a customer. PCS, of course, can blame DPD since they did contract them.

Most importantly, the customer should not feel any reason to just accept a new glass side. If they feel even the slightest concern that glass has got into their system, they should just ask for a full replacement.

Honestly, I don't see why everyone is so protective of PCS. They are just another company trying to maximize profits for their shareholders. I have zero issue with that and they seem to be doing that successfully given profits doubled in 2020. They just have their pros and cons like every other company.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've gotten four PC's in the past 2 years from PCS and all of them have been really well packaged. I'd be interested to see how yours was packaged or why you've felt it was weak? I'd certainly have a conversation with them if one of the PC's I've bought came packaged any lesser than the others but they've been fairly consistent with that in my experience

As for the the PCS vs DPD contacts yeah of course you shouldn't have to contact DPD direct. Just talk with PCS and they'll get onto DPD from their end, there really isn't anything you could do sway them either way so it's better for that communication to happen from PCS

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I said that "I ... felt the packaging was the weakest I've seen in a couple of decades of buying PCs". That isn't criticism, it states that the packaging was weaker that I've historically observed! PCS is cheaper than some other system builders. Perhaps one reason is they cut costs in areas like packaging. PCS could improve the packaging/courier and charge me more. I wouldn't want to pay that since it would make no economic sense for me to pay £10 more to offset perhaps a 0.2% chance the PC is broken during transit.
Now you're stating as a fact that PCS 'cut costs in areas like packaging' - based only on your own alleged experience.

Where I completely disagree with you is regarding DPD. PCS hires DPD to execute the delivery. The customer doesn't. Anything that goes wrong is 100% down to PCS. DPD does not enter the equation for a customer. PCS, of course, can blame DPD since they did contract them.
But that's not what you said. What you said was that DPD were 'irrelevant'. But they're the people who do the damage and that makes them very relevant

What you're saying now is true enough, that the customer has no contract with DPD. .

Most importantly, the customer should not feel any reason to just accept a new glass side. If they feel even the slightest concern that glass has got into their system, they should just ask for a full replacement.
When did anybody say the customer couldn't return the PC if they were concerned? They can.

Honestly, I don't see why everyone is so protective of PCS. They are just another company trying to maximize profits for their shareholders. I have zero issue with that and they seem to be doing that successfully given profits doubled in 2020. They just have their pros and cons like every other company.
If you've been around a while you'll know that most of us have been critical of PCS when we've felt they've dropped that ball. I certainly have, on several occasions.

What I find unacceptable is your making sweeping sratements about how PCS operate based on no more evidence that your own experience. You can of course always talk about what you know to be true but you shouldn't extrapolate from the specific to the general.