Dream Build - Nightmare Delivery

Scottmask

Silver Level Poster
please explain how i am stating random disinformation... the parcel is clearly wet. palletways have clearly stored it outside?? palletways is a courier...? if this was packaged "do not store outside, FRAGILE" it would have had lesser chance being managed the way it has.

LDC

does anyone know if you can drive and collect your own PC directly from PCS? i live in manchester and would honestly rather collect it myself after seeing these horrific photos.
There is an option to collect it yourself. I did consider it, wish I had now lol!

Scottmask

Silver Level Poster
There is an option to collect it yourself. I did consider it, wish I had now lol!
try not to think about it. it will be managed and dealt with accordingly. i live 40 minutes away so will 100% be collecting it myself.

Reactions: LDC

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So.

Joy to the world, my PC has arrived.
Horror to all mankind, it has arrived in a dirty, wet, damaged box with a ripped plastic bin bag over it...
Did I say wet? It was wet underneath that bin bag.
Dunno what has happened to it since Thursday at the Courier's, but it looks like it has been left out in the rain after a good kicking.
MY BABY!! Haven't even taken it out of the box yet as I'm a bit scared. :O
This is horrifying! How something like that is even possible, I have no idea. I have no doubt PCS will get it all sorted out for you.

does anyone know if you can drive and collect your own PC directly from PCS? i live in manchester and would honestly rather collect it myself after seeing these horrific photos.
I used the upgrade scheme to get one of the PCS mouse mats the recently and before it was dispatched I had the option to collect the order from them on the orders page. I’d imagine it’s the same for every PCS order. How the ins and outs of it works, but it’s worth a try I guess!

Stephen M

Author Level
try not to think about it. it will be managed and dealt with accordingly. i live 40 minutes away so will 100% be collecting it myself.
I would check that with PCS, it always was an option but Covid-19 restrictions may mean it has had to be suspended.

LDC

don't worry, they will contact dpd or another local courier and give you info to post on your box etc to get it sent back to them, what i would do in the mean time is try and find something to safely and adequately store this in for transit back to PCS. if it is possible to keep the pallet and ensure it can be firmly tied back to this to avoid it being further damaged in return and traceable for their receipt.

I have brought the PC boxes inside (don't know what is in the 2nd brown one with the mud on it), kept the ripped bin bag packaging with the delivery note on it, and the pallet is in the front garden.

Currently on hold in the phone queue, so will update when I have spoken to them.

Scottmask

Silver Level Poster
I have brought the PC boxes inside (don't know what is in the 2nd brown one with the mud on it), kept the ripped bin bag packaging with the delivery note on it, and the pallet is in the front garden.

Currently on hold in the phone queue, so will update when I have spoken to them.
the brown box likely contains your internal component empty packaging, boxes and a guidance/information pack for your system with any cables etc you need.

LDC

Spoke a very nice and helpful PCS guy. Sent the pics while on the phone to him and he let me know there was no way it should have arrived in that manner. He will now take it up with DPD (Palletways is apparently one of their delivery arms).

He instructed me to open the box and assess.
Box was dry inside :) with a dry dust cover and dry polystyrene padding.
Next instruction now is to set it up, turn it on, and either enjoy or email him back if there is any problem, then we can reassess and take it from there and he will sort out any next level issues.

Next stage: Connect and power up... eek!

Attachments

• IMG_4131.jpg
    IMG_4131.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_4137.jpg
    IMG_4137.jpg
    843.4 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4141.jpg
    IMG_4141.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_4142.jpg
    IMG_4142.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_4136.jpg
    IMG_4136.jpg
    773 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4140.jpg
    IMG_4140.jpg
    636.1 KB · Views: 164

Scottmask

Silver Level Poster
Spoke a very nice and helpful PCS guy. Sent the pics while on the phone to him and he let me know there was no way it should have arrived in that manner. He will now take it up with DPD (Palletways is apparently one of their delivery arms).

He instructed me to open the box and assess.
Box was dry inside :) with a dry dust cover and dry polystyrene padding.
Next instruction now is to set it up, turn it on, and either enjoy or email him back if there is any problem, then we can reassess and take it from there and he will sort out any next level issues.

Next stage: Connect and power up... eek!
i have read on here about ensuring you let it climatise to the environment before turning it on.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Fingers crossed🤞, I'd have a good look inside before turning on just to make sure no sign of dampness anywhere

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Not the best start to the day for you but hopefully all is well that ends well. Awful condition to be receiving such a high end system in.

Interested in the spec, given the RAM layout it looks like an X299? Bit of a strange choice of spec, hence the curiosity.

LDC

Not the best start to the day for you but hopefully all is well that ends well. Awful condition to be receiving such a high end system in.

Interested in the spec, given the RAM layout it looks like an X299? Bit of a strange choice of spec, hence the curiosity.

Yeah, not the best start, but I am grateful to actually have my PC and tasty G card while so many others are still waiting, and hopefully my day gets better from here with it all.

Spec is:

1615815363170.png

I probably did not spend as much time researching as I could, as I was in a bit of a rush (and I'm no expert), but basically just ordered a present day update to everything my old system had, as it has served me long and well.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
What an awful experience OP! I'm shocked at the state of it!! Glad it all looks OK inside..... :eek:

In terms of acclimatising - us photograhper types know all about that topic! Taking shots outside on a cold day and then bringing your camera back indoors can destroy it as condensation builds up in every crevice! The routine is to place the camera in a sealed zip lock bag before you go inside and give it a couple of hours to warm up gently in there before you take it out.

Given the cold temperatures recently I would actually recommend a similar approach for PC deliveries - as even in a warehouse they can get very well cold soaked. Leave the box indoors and don't open it for a few hours to give everything inside a chance to settle at your indoor ambient temperature. (y) Bite your nails or whack your kids or whatever helps you pass the time to avoid the almost insurmountable desire to get a look at your new toy!