Dry January

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Did anyone else do Dry January?

I did and have gone the entire month of January without consuming any alcohol. This is from someone that could and did drink pretty much every night.

My wallet feels better and so does my waist line. Skin is feeling and looking somewhat better too - I never did looked like Sir Alex Ferguson beforehand mind.

Has anyone else given it a go? Tried and failed? (hey that's alright... I've tried the same before and it didn't work)

Though I've given up drinking for January, I've no intention of drinking this evening and like the idea of being primarily a non-drinker.

This is half the reason I've ordered a new PC too - it's certainly been an added incentive to keep at it.

Stephen M

Author Level
Oddly enough I had a drink this January. I stopped drinking a couple of years ago for medical reasons, although can have an occasional drink but mostly limit it to my favourites. As a friend had sent me a bottle of Blauer Zweigelt it was a good reason to have one.

Citrus_9

Expert
What about Jack Daniel's with coke? Or Sex On The Beach cocktail with a triple shot of vodka? Long Island is a good kick too - just the last drink before falling face to floor 🤣

Citrus_9

Expert
Oddly enough I had a drink this January. I stopped drinking a couple of years ago for medical reasons, although can have an occasional drink but mostly limit it to my favourites. As a friend had sent me a bottle of Blauer Zweigelt it was a good reason to have one.
I should open for public a wine basement. For some reason all of my friends, family and at work gives me wine for birthday, best employee of the month, Christmas... But I actually DO NOT like wine! It gives me that strange thirsty feeling in my mouth and headaches next day. Vodka is my best friend from all the alcohol family.

Kids: don't drink - it's bad.
Teens: don't drink - it's even worse for teens.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
@ Citrus_9 JD and coke I do like, or Bourbon,,,,

Stephen, never tried it, but I do enjoy a good glass of red. We cook with it a lot here at home.

I'm only just hearing some Covid vaccines mean you have to be drink free for 20 days afterwards... at least one in N.Ireland is that way.

Wuffles

I can report that I did dry January just to prove a point ..... the point being "did I like a Vodka or did I need one?".
I am sure we are all aware of the old adage "I can give up (please insert your recreational substance of choice) any time I like and I am not addicted, I just aint doing it this week!"
First week or so it was a bit strange and I did notice disrupted sleep patterns but after that it was fine ....
But now its February, I have confirmed to myself that I don't have a problem (at the time of typing) so tonight I am going to totally ignore my spouse and start a torrid whirlwind affair with a large very chilled bottle of Grey Goose .... the alcohol equivalent of the RTX3080 and I have only had to wait 21 working days.
Game On

Cobblers

Enthusiast
I can report that I did dry January just to prove a point ..... the point being "did I like a Vodka or did I need one?".
I am sure we are all aware of the old adage "I can give up (please insert your recreational substance of choice) any time I like and I am not addicted, I just aint doing it this week!"
First week or so it was a bit strange and I did notice disrupted sleep patterns but after that it was fine ....
But now its February, I have confirmed to myself that I don't have a problem (at the time of typing) so tonight I am going to totally ignore my spouse and start a torrid whirlwind affair with a large very chilled bottle of Grey Goose .... the alcohol equivalent of the RTX3080 and I have only had to wait 21 working days.
Game On

And fair play... why not and well done to you!

[Edit by a mod: no links to booze, shouldn't really be having booze related conversations at all, so definitely no links]

Last edited by a moderator:
Lockdown has pretty much forced one on me. Don't really drink at home, normally save drinking for golf, football and pub :/

Cobblers

Enthusiast
[Edit by a mod: no links to booze, shouldn't really be having booze related conversations at all, so definitely no links]

Np mods, you can lock it if this thread doesn't apply to forum rules. I'll confess to not having read them.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
To be honest, if you surveyed every single member of every single forum on the internet, you'd likely find 99.9% hadn't read forum rules...I admit that I hadn't read the forum rules here until someone asked a question about them and so I went looking for an answer...but then I've been using forums for 20 years so usually have a good idea what would be in the rules

Really, so I've been printing out all this stuff for no reason?!

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Well I played an earlier version of someone else's, but when that was out (IIRC) Ghost Recon original on the PC was going strong and one thing led to another and then WoW.. happened.