Dual monitors setup for CAD

Kev123

Can anyone help me? I've just ordered a new PC (it has 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 ti GPU) and I would like 2 side by side 24-27 inch monitors for CAD use. I want it to be as bright and high-def as possible but I don't do any gaming whatsoever. I would like to have the one on the left portrait and the right one landscape. They will be mounted on a twin wall bracket arm so that's important, (I have seen some nice looking HP ones with very thin aluminium look frames but they can only be supported on their stands and not mounted (I thjink). Budget wise, I guess £500 inc VAT for the pair if it's achievable?

DarkSky

For CAD software you want a Quadro or Radeon Pro card, Geforce and gaming cards are very poor with modelling software. Also, you will not be able to use Realview in Solidworks.
Sorry to be that guy, but I'm currently building a work PC for CAD.

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Maybe a pair of Dell S2721QS 27" 4k screens at slightly over your £500 budget for the pair (£640)?

If you're happy with 1440p then the same model at the lower resolution is £500 for the pair.

Both are VESA-mountable.

Kev123

For CAD software you want a Quadro or Radeon Pro card, Geforce and gaming cards are very poor with modelling software. Also, you will not be able to use Realview in Solidworks.
Thanks DARKSKY no need to apologise and thankfully I could amend the order, ive swapped for the AMD RADEON™ PRO W5700 WORKSTATION - 8GB, 2304 Streams, 5 x mDP for an extra £270. The equivalent 8GB the NVIDIA QUADRO was another £70 which i think I would have preferred,

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ah, I didn't realise RealView was limited to professional cards, thanks for that. That's an amazing new tech, definitely want that ability

DarkSky

Thanks DARKSKY no need to apologise and thankfully I could amend the order, ive swapped for the AMD RADEON™ PRO W5700 WORKSTATION - 8GB, 2304 Streams, 5 x mDP for an extra £270. The equivalent 8GB the NVIDIA QUADRO was another £70 which i think I would have preferred,
Nice one the W5700 is a solid card and should work well. That was the one I was initially looking at but it put me over budget for my work build. I've not got the PNY RTX A2000 Nvidia Card, its around £450 and in stock released this month, has 3328 cores but only 6gb, seems pretty solid and may be worth a look. The only downside is there doesn't seem to be a lot of comparison information about yet.

DarkSky

Ah, I didn't realise RealView was limited to professional cards, thanks for that. That's an amazing new tech, definitely want that ability
I think there are some semi awkward work around, but they looked more hassle than they are worth, also our reseller won't/can't help if we don't use certified GPUs apparently.
A lower spec second PC was built in October last year funnily enough, it has a 1080 ti graphics card and the RealView icon isn't show. The PC was spec'd and bought before I got a chance to look it over.
Solid enough build, just not ideal for only CAD work.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If you can splurge mate, I've bought a couple machines in the last two months with Quadro RTX 4000's in them and those are work horses. Very impressive GPU's but they are pricey

DarkSky

If you can splurge mate, I've bought a couple machines in the last two months with Quadro RTX 4000's in them and those are work horses. Very impressive GPU's but they are pricey
The RTX 4000 is a cracking piece of kit. If I could pry the wallet out of my directors hands, that's the card I would have. It is a bit overkill for what I need... but overkill isn't always a bad thing lol.