DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

carrot_monkey

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all

bit of a naff one but do people get DVD/BLU-RAY Drives in their builds? I have one on on my laptop and it gets used once or twice every few years so I was thought to skip it when I placed the order. I do not have any DVDs in the house that I want to access regularly and I will always have my trusty laptop anyway if I'll have to read one.

Only reason that I can think of is a windows installation (which I haven't had to do in a long long time anyway maybe 7+ years). Will PCS send me the windows in a DVD with my build? or is it USB sticks now?

thanks
c

steaky360

Only if you ask for one - they don't really come as standard anymore.

If you need to reinstall windows you can install the media onto a USB drive yourself - PCS don't need to send you anything

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
External DVD drives are pretty cheap and Sod's Law states that if you don't have one then sooner or later you'll need one! :cool:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've got 2 external DVD drives, 1 permanently hooked up to my desktop, and the other one is in the laptop bag, so that I've got it when i go away should i need it, I've also got a few blank RW DVD's

PhilGP

Silver Level Poster
My old desktop has 2 - one DL and one for Lightscribe. They get used twice a year normally but last xmas I needed to produce 80 copies of a DVD for my daughters dance show (with full permission from the author) and then it was invaluable. But I doubt I'll need to do that again.

My new build will not have one.
We have 3 laptops in the house without a drive.
I have bought a cheap external drive that we can use on any of the machines. I just need to remember where I left it ! :)

RichardDavies99

Bronze Level Poster
I've ordered one in my latest computer because I still buy a lot of music on CDs & want to be able rip them to my hard drive.