DVD/Blu-Ray Drives in Laptops

grrrrrowl

Hi,

I haven't had a laptop for a few years but was surprised that some of them don't come with an optical drive anymore. I was looking into buying an Octane 2 and was wondering if it's possible to add a blu-ray drive to it?

I know you can dl and stream most stuff these days but I have films and stuff on disk which I would like to be able to use.

Cheers,

Simon

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's becoming less common for them to have optical drives. If there isn't an option to add one in the configurator for X laptop model, it doesn't support them sadly. You could use an external drive if that's convenient.

More and more desktop cases don't have space for optical drives any more as well.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As oussebon says, you can pick up a good external usb dvd or bluray drive from about £30 from the usual culprits as well as the options PCS offer which are very good.

Parramatta

Silver Level Poster
Yeah, I was surprised too when I bought the Octane II, as a previous 2008 HP laptop I had did manage to put in an optical and two SSD/HDD drive bays. It seems we've gone a little backwards in this regard. I would have assumed 8 years of miniaturization would mean there's MORE room inside a laptop today than in the past.

But, in fairness, I hardly use the optical nowadays (bought an external). Rapidly obsolete technology.