DVI look so old fashioned!

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
May be a silly question but is it just me or do the DVI cables look really old? Like i remember my ancient PC and connecting it the the monitor with what im pretty sure was VGA and when i unboxed my new pc and saw the DVI cable i first thought id been sent a VGA one by accident!
I ask because the HD cables look so much cleaner and modern, why are DVI not similar?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
DVI-D cables give the same quality of signal as HDMI,main difference being HDMI can carry sound.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Yeh sorry i mean to ask, purely on appearances. The HD just looks far more modern with a small cable end without screws etc. whereas the DVI is just so big and bulky plus has the screws.

mishra

Rising Star
It's usually on back of either monitor or PC, so you cannot really see it. I suppose the screws are there only for additional protection so that the cable will not disconnect by mistake. Also if you happen to move your monitor often, if there would be no screws your connector would get flimsy with time.

I do agree, thought, it looks very old fashioned but at the same time I hope they will keep this standard for years to come.