DX11 or DX12?? Confused

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Looking at playing Warhammer 2 quite a bit once the new PC arrives and looking at DX11 v DX12 and the performance it kicks out - supposedly 20% better performance according to MS.

But the frame rates are lower, but does that lower FPS offer a better stable game performance for the FPS it is kicking out? (or for any other game for that matter)

Some of the forum threads I've checked out on the net say stick to DX11, but they are a little dated. Is this still the case or better sticking with DX11 for the time being?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Looking at playing Warhammer 2 quite a bit once the new PC arrives and looking at DX11 v DX12 and the performance it kicks out - supposedly 20% better performance according to MS.

But the frame rates are lower, but does that lower FPS offer a better stable game performance for the FPS it is kicking out? (or for any other game for that matter)

Some of the forum threads I've checked out on the net say stick to DX11, but they are a little dated. Is this still the case or better sticking with DX11 for the time being?
It depends what frame rates you’re talking about.

If you’re talking the difference between 50fps and over 60, then it’s likely worth lowering to DX11 to boost you into playable FPS (60 widely regarded as the minimum playable).

if we’re talking anywhere over about 80fps, the extra FPS is imho not worth the tradeoof for extra visual fidelity and I’d take the performance hit and go with dx12.

For me, anything over about 70fps is gravy, I’m not bothered at all about hitting 144hz at all times as I barely appreciate the difference over about 70.

Warhammer 2 is not really going to gain from high FPS anyway, over about 70.

Bit it’s very much a personal thing. Have a play and see what works best for you.

steaky360

Just try both and see which one you prefer for your specific set-up/hardware? I tend to only go looking on the tinterwebs if I find that my performance/experience is not good enough... My take on this, is optimising for optimisations sake isn't really worth the effort (but maybe I'm just lazy?? ;) )...

There could be something in it for 'lower average framerates' with a higher 99% framerate being achieved making the overall experience 'seem better' - I think LTT (other youtubers are available) did a video with this discussion in it about how average framerate is just one metric but in some games the small dips you get from the average (for only 1 or 2 frames) can totally ruin the experience.

Perhaps in DX12 those are better? I've no idea... Give it a shot :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Nice one, thanks all. Answered my question. Expected the replies might be more "DX12... meh!" but I'll give it a play and see how it performs. Cheers.
Often on the internet, when it comes to FPS and Hz, there’s quite a lot of misinformation around NEEDING huge FPS. This is more with games like Fortnite and the like.

Most people don’t notice any difference over about 120fps.

But it is extremely subjective, and all down to the sensitivity of your own eyes and brain on how quickly they can pick up the changes.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would agree with the "try it and see approach". Some people simply don't notice fps changes...turns out I can't notice any difference whatsoever between 60fps and 150fps!
Pretty much the same for me.

I was playing FFXV on 4k at around 45FPS, because of GSync, I had no idea it was under 60, still looked buttery smooth to me.

Screens are so good these days, they do make a hugely beneficial impact even at low FPS.

Depends on the kind of game as well, something mega fast paced FPS like Doom is going to benefit a lot more from high FPS than an open world game or something like that.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Just I was reading about Total War games (Warhammer & Three kingdoms), which I believe are both DX12 compatable, but the frame rate drop qas quite significant, but I couldn't notice a big enough improvement on the benchmark test to warrant the the -10 to -20 FPS.

I will "suck it and see" and go from there, but wondered if (like AMD v Intel) I was missing something obvious about this "positive" feature. Many TW gamers were saying not to use it and stick with DX11, but I suppose it depends on what their system spec is as to whether their opinion is relevant or not.

Again, I'll test it out to see how it peforms on my rig at the end of this week.