Electrical bill???

EYEONME

Hi, so I have had my beast gaming pc for 3 months now and i have just got my 1st electric bill.

It has gone up around £8 per month, just wanted to know if anyone else had such a hike when they started pc gaming.

Thanks.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Going by your previous thread talking about a 780ti, presuming you have an i7 etc etc etc. You could easily be drawing 400-500w from the mains when gaming. The maths on that looks something like this. say 11p kw/h X 0.5Kw/h X 5 hours/day X 30 days = £8.25 or 27p per day of gaming.

So not unreasonable, but these things can be expensive to run if you are gaming for long periods.

dogbot

Bright Spark
I have one of those electricity smart meters and can track what electricity is being used and when. I could not do much about the fridge/ freezer but threw out an old chest freezer and changed the desktop for a laptop having twice the performance. Doing this halved my electricity bill.

I have to say that I live on my own. While the actual money saved would be the same for a family, the proportional amount would not be so great.

EYEONME

I have the Corsair RM1000, I had a vortex III laptop and moved up to the gaming pc.

I don't mind paying the extra :) just shows that I play way to much to the wife.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
When I first got a PC I lived with 5 girls. They all moaned at me saying it would increase the electricity bill and they wouldn't be able to afford it as they were students.

I just looked at them and said "Enjoying your five hairdryers, are you?" :gunsmilie:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
One of them became my gf of 3 years :)

Sounds like you might be suffering from Stockholm syndrome
Stockholm syndrome, or capture-bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Hahaha brillant!

8 quid isnt tht much money when you think about the amount of enjoyment your pc offers.