Elimina or Ionico

Hi guys,

Been a while since I've posted on here but I'll soon need to replace my old Vortex laptop from 2012 and am debating between an Elimina and an Ionico.

As far as I can tell, the major difference between the 2 is one has DDR5 RAM and the other DDR5.

So my question is: is it worth spending the extra couple of hundred on DDR5 at this point?

TIA

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi guys,

Been a while since I've posted on here but I'll soon need to replace my old Vortex laptop from 2012 and am debating between an Elimina and an Ionico.

As far as I can tell, the major difference between the 2 is one has DDR5 RAM and the other DDR5.

So my question is: is it worth spending the extra couple of hundred on DDR5 at this point?

TIA
It's a lot more than just the RAM version, the Ionico has a 240Hz 1440p screen so you'll need a far more powerful GPU to run it. Plus it's a far more robust chassis with better cooling.

The Ionico is a far superior machine.

With regards to DDR5 vs DDR4, depends on usage, for rendering there's a small improvement in output times depending on the timings, for gaming, almost zero benefit. The chipset is going to hold back DDR 5 performance on 12th Gen Intel as it was a first gen memory controller and as such caps out quite low. That's never going to change with BIOS updates, it's a hardware limitation of the memory controller on the CPU.

But with respect to these 2 chassis, it's not the RAM that's making the increase cost, it's far more down to a far superior display at higher resolution and refresh rate and magnesium chassis vs plastic, plus increased cooling capacity.

But although it's an option, the 3060 is not gonna be powerful enough to run the screen on the Ionico for gaming, you'd need a very minimum of 3070ti, preferably 3080, so cost will be substantially more.

It's a lot more than just the RAM version, the Ionico has a 240Hz 1440p screen so you'll need a far more powerful GPU to run it. Plus it's a far more robust chassis with better cooling.

The Ionico is a far superior machine.

With regards to DDR5 vs DDR4, depends on usage, for rendering there's a small improvement in output times depending on the timings, for gaming, almost zero benefit. The chipset is going to hold back DDR 5 performance on 12th Gen Intel as it was a first gen memory controller and as such caps out quite low. That's never going to change with BIOS updates, it's a hardware limitation of the memory controller on the CPU.

But with respect to these 2 chassis, it's not the RAM that's making the increase cost, it's far more down to a far superior display at higher resolution and refresh rate and magnesium chassis vs plastic, plus increased cooling capacity.

But although it's an option, the 3060 is not gonna be powerful enough to run the screen on the Ionico for gaming, you'd need a very minimum of 3070ti, preferably 3080, so cost will be substantially more.
Thank you for replying so quickly!

You make some really good points!

From the reading I'd done i could not really find a tangible reason to go for DDR5 over DDR4 (yet) and you've reinforced that.

I hadn't thought about the GPU side of things so thanks for pointing that out.

I don't game, much. My needs are such that I do multitasking and content creation; I am definitely looking at getting 64 GB RAM and 2 TB m.2 SSD. Which CPU and GPU set up would you suggest is best suited to my needs?

I am looking to replace my 10 year old Vortex PCS laptop. I use it for heavy multitasking, and content creation. I am debating between the 3 machines (summary specs as below). Please let me know which you think I should go for:

Elimina 15.6:
i7 14 core 12700H
64 GB Corsair DDR4
RTX 3060 6GB
2 TB Samsung 980
£1,721

Elimina Pro:
Same as above
£1,831

Ionico:
i9 14 core 12900H
64 GB Corsair DDR5
RTX 3060 6GB
2 TB Samsung 980
£1,865

My view is I'm spending that on the Elimina Pro I may as well get the Ionico but I cannot determine if there is merit to getting the Ionico over the Elimina 15.6

This is quite vague, what packages do you use?
So I always have Edge and Firefox open, often each with multiple tabs. I then always have WhatsApp, Teams, Excel, Word/Powerpoint open, as well as then Paint. In addition to that I will also have open one of Remote Desktop Viewer, Adobe Premier Pro and Adobe Illustrator.

Then then Football Manager when I want to unplug!