Elimina Pro Series 16" Mini DP not working

bobbyf90

Just got this laptop and tried to connect a second monitor via the Mini DP and for the second full night now I am unable to find a solution as to why my monitors are not picking up a signal?

I am using a Mini DP to HDMI adapter which connects to the HDMI input of the monitor. This adapter is confirmed working at the office where I have the same setup.

Both monitors work using just the hdmi to hdmi from the laptop.

Latest graphics drivers and window updates installed

Anyone any ideas? Can this powerful laptop really cannot operate dual monitors? I'm at a loss.

Appreciate any help.

BUILD:

Chassis & Display
Elimina Pro Series: 16" Matte QHD 240Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1600)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 10 Core Processor 13620H (4.90GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair 4800MHz SODIMM DDR5 (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 4050 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SOLIDIGM P41+ GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 4125MB/sR, 3325MB/sW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Elimina Pro Series Integrated 62Wh Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
LIQUID METAL PERFORMANCE COOLING
Sound Card
Nahimic by SteelSeries 2 Channel HD Audio
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.3
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.2 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
ELIMINA 16" SERIES MULTI COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Did you order with windows or without?

Is it definitely a mini DP and not a thunderbolt 2 connector as they use the same port but have different protocols and pinouts?

bobbyf90

The port on the adapter shows a square symbol? We know the laptop has mini DP, we need to be sure the adapter isn't thunderbolt.
Thanks for the response, the adapter shows a square symbol also yes which I have just taken back to the office with me as I use it daily for the same setup at work for a different laptop. (Laptop hdmi & mini dp to hdmi for the second monitor)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the response, the adapter shows a square symbol also yes which I have just taken back to the office with me as I use it daily for the same setup at work for a different laptop. (Laptop hdmi & mini dp to hdmi for the second monitor)
Cool.

So then is the mini dp display showing in windows settings to extend to?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No option in the display settings to extend to the monitor as it doesn't recognise a signal to it. Only option is to extend to the main monitor using hdmi to hdmi ports
So at a guess, it's either driver related, or the adapter is an older version that's not supported by the port on the laptop.

Firstly, can you post a screenshot of your optional updates page?

bobbyf90

So at a guess, it's either driver related, or the adapter is an older version that's not supported by the port on the laptop.

Firstly, can you post a screenshot of your optional updates page?
Thanks will check tonight for you, in the meantime I have took a punt and ordered another 4k 60hz mini dp(thunder 2 compatible) to hdmi adapter.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks will check tonight for you, in the meantime I have took a punt and ordered another 4k 60hz mini dp(thunder 2 compatible) to hdmi adapter.
If it's thunderbolt 2 compatible, that means it won't be compatible with PC mini dp, they use the same connector but are different protocols. If it states thunderbolt 2 compatible, thats for old Mac products

bobbyf90

If it's thunderbolt 2 compatible, that means it won't be compatible with PC mini dp, they use the same connector but are different protocols. If it states thunderbolt 2 compatible, thats for old Mac products

Gotcha, cancelled that. For reference the below is the laptop spec and monitor I am trying to plug into.

I cannot seem to find just mini dp without thunder compatibility. Although I am 99% sure the one I was using already is just normal DP adapter anyway.

Monitor:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240222-080711.png
    Screenshot_20240222-080711.png
    189.9 KB · Views: 20

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Being a brand new laptop, could it also be simply the port is faulty at the build process?
The port is part of the motherboard, so extremely unlikely. It's supplied from the factory with the chassis. PCS don't assemble that side of it.

Gotcha, cancelled that. For reference the below is the laptop spec and monitor I am trying to plug into.

I cannot seem to find just mini dp without thunder compatibility. Although I am 99% sure the one I was using already is just normal DP adapter anyway.

Monitor:

PCS_Chris

Staff member
Hi All,

This is an issue we're actively looking into and we're working with the manufacturer now to figure out what the cause of the issue is.

At present, the manufacturer has stated that any cable that converts from mini DisplayPort to anything other than DisplayPort (e.g. HDMI, DVI etc...) requires a DP++ cable which can allow the passing of HDMI and DVI signals through it.

Alternatively, if you have the option, we can confirm that a proper mDP to DP cable will work without issue.

Lastly, we are also testing active mDP to HDMI cables internally but are currently waiting on a sample cable to test with.

I hope this can help you to get display out of your mDP port.

Regards,

Chris

bobbyf90

Thanks for the responses,

I guess as the monitor I am using does not have a DP in port I will need a DP++ to HDMI adapter/cable.

If somebody could link me to one as I cannot find anything DP++ related it would be much appreciated!

bobbyf90

Hi All,

This is an issue we're actively looking into and we're working with the manufacturer now to figure out what the cause of the issue is.

At present, the manufacturer has stated that any cable that converts from mini DisplayPort to anything other than DisplayPort (e.g. HDMI, DVI etc...) requires a DP++ cable which can allow the passing of HDMI and DVI signals through it.

Alternatively, if you have the option, we can confirm that a proper mDP to DP cable will work without issue.

Lastly, we are also testing active mDP to HDMI cables internally but are currently waiting on a sample cable to test with.

I hope this can help you to get display out of your mDP port.

Regards,

Chris
Thanks Chris I will await your MDP to hdmi cable test results to find out which I will need to buy.

PCS_Chris

Staff member
Hi All,

A quick update on this. We have tested successfully an active mDP to HDMI cable. The specific one we tested is linked here:

Lindy Active mDP to HDMI cable

This cable is quite pricey at £33 due to it being an active cable. If you can find a cheaper active cable I would presume it to work. However, I cannot guarantee it like I can with the one I have linked.

Hope this helps,

Chris

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi All,

A quick update on this. We have tested successfully an active mDP to HDMI cable. The specific one we tested is linked here:

This cable is quite pricey at £33 due to it being an active cable. If you can find a cheaper active cable I would presume it to work. However, I cannot guarantee it like I can with the one I have linked.

Hope this helps,

Chris
Lindy are superb, they are expensive, but the quality speaks for itself. I’ve used monitor mounts from them for a number of years now.

bobbyf90

Hi All,

Hope this helps,

Chris
Thanks for the link. It's an extra expense I could of done without but it is what it is just glad for solution!