Enigma II colour banding issue

Matiss

Hi,
So I have Enigma II laptop and some while ago I noticed that I have a colour banding issues. It looks like my colours would be set to 24-bit not to 32-bit. In the settings it shows that I have set 32-bit colour. I have tried almost anything - reinstalled video drivers and even the windows, but without success.. So while I was searching in google I came across on some forums where some HP users had the same issue and by updating bios the problem was fixed.. so I was wondering can I update my bios? Or there is other option?

And there is the link to that HP forum:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TX-TM-Series-Notebooks/HP-tm2-Color-Quality/td-p/328968

P.S. Sorry about my english.
Thank you.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

If the setting state that it's set to 32-bit, I'm pretty sure it's set to 32-bit.

Can you take a picture of your colour banding issues and post them here so we can investigate further?

Matiss

Hopefully you will see, if not then maybe the problem is in the screen. It's sometimes very hard to notice the problem, but in dark areas it's more noticeable. And in the bright areas it's ok.

The first image is from movie which is Full HD quality. I putted the arrows to show where exactly the banding is noticeable.

colourbanding.png

colourbanding2.png

Anyway I will try to reinstall Windows with formatting the hard drive, but only when I will be able to back up my files. And then I'm going to put the video driver which came in CD and then will see again.
But anyway, is there a bios update?
I have INSYDE F.03, 28/01/2010 version of bios.

Meds

I'm afraid it's difficult to see the banding on these pics so keep us updated with how to reinstall goes. The latest BIOS for the Laptop you have us F.09.

Randomthom

Silver Level Poster
Those are screenshots, not photos ergo the banding won't show at all (unless it's an issue with the graphics driver) as screenshots show what the graphics driver thinks it's showing, not what the user is seeing.

I concur, I can't see the banding on these screenshots.

Try downloading the latest graphics driver.

Also, if possible, try connecting the laptop via HDMI to a TV or via VGA to a monitor, does the banding still appear? If yes then it's a problem with the signal being sent to the monitor. If not then it's an issue with the screen on the laptop.

JSG10

Expert
Don't know how you can't see it. I can. lol
This looks simliar to the problem I've got. I'm assuming its just in video playback you have this problem?
It is really quite an annoying problem as its affecting my film viewing. As I've said before though it seems perfect with gaming. I've looked around for ages trying to figure it out but never got to the bottom of it no matter what I've tried... kinda given up for now. Hope you have more luck.

Matiss

So, I formatted my hard drive, reinstalled windows and installed original drivers from cd, but the banding wasn't gone. Then I installed the latest graphics card driver, but without success.
I don't have another monitor to check if it is the screen issue. I don't know but I think it is not the screen problem.
So I guess the only way to fix this is by updating (flashing) the bios. I found this site with Compal's drivers http://ftp.compal.com/asp/driver_dnd/index.htm
The only problem is that I have never flashed the bios and as I read that if it's not done right it can harm the motherboard. So the question is if I would tried to flash the bios would it affect the warranty?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
You won't affect your warranty unless you break the laptop If you flash it incorrectly the laptop will cease to function and will need to be returned to us for repair (at your expense). If you want to flash the laptop my best advice is to call us on Monday and speak to our laptop technician. He will give you detailed instructions on how to correctly flash the BIOS, and we can even e-mail you the correct flash if required. You will need to create a bootable flash drive to flash the BIOS.

However - we normally flash all Enigma II laptops before first installing the operating system, and therefore you may find that the best/most up-to-date BIOS version is already installed. I also don't believe that flashing the BIOS will fix this problem, and therefore let's check some other issues first.

1. What resolution are you working at?

2. When you right-click on your desktop and select "Screen Resolution" and then selected "Advanced Settings" and select the "Monitor" tab - what do your refresh rate and colors show as? If it states 32-bit, then it is most definitely set to 32-bit.

Matiss

1. I am working in Full HD resolution 1920x1080.
2. Screen refresh rate is 60 Hertz and 32-bit colors.

Also when I watch movies the video is lagging like a little bit freezing. I am using VLC, DivX players, but the best results without lagging is if I watch using GOM player. But with windows media player the quality of image is even worst than with other players.
I will flash the bios and then will see.

dmm

1. I am working in Full HD resolution 1920x1080.
2. Screen refresh rate is 60 Hertz and 32-bit colors.

Also when I watch movies the video is lagging like a little bit freezing. I am using VLC, DivX players, but the best results without lagging is if I watch using GOM player. But with windows media player the quality of image is even worst than with other players.
I will flash the bios and then will see.

I can't help with colour banding, but I often get playback lag; you need to disabled powerplay in the catalyst control centre (right click desktop to get to it, then go to powerplay tab). Hope it helps.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Based on your answers, my opinion is that either the colour banding is normal and nothing to worry about, or the screen could be faulty. Is there anyway you could take a photo (rather than screenshot) so we can see what it looks like?