Enigma IV DVD Drive

zemo

Hi,

About an year ago I ordered a Enigma IV Laptop, there are the specs:

i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
GT 650M
500GB WD SCORPIO
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

And i just noticed a few days ago that my DVD Drive has stopped working, it just doesn't read any dvds/cds. I also noticed, a while ago, that the DVD Drive sometimes pops out of nowhere, is this related?

Thanks in advance

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Check if your DVD device is showing in device manager,if so check device status,right click on device,select properties,select the general tab.
If this error is showing or something similar with a "code 19"
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
Try deleting the UpperFilters\LowerFilters registry entries.
Start Registry Editor Click Start, type regedit in the quick search, and then click the regedit icon in the search results. Registry Editor starts.
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM
3. Expand ControlSet001
4. Expand Control
5. Expand Class
6. Search for the key {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and left click on it, bringing the values up on the right
In the right hand pane (topic area), you may have Upperfilters, Lowerfilters or both, click UpperFilters if you have it, and delete it, if you have LowerFilters as well, delete this also. If you only have one of the two, just delete that one.
Close Registry Editor and restart windows.

Failing that,a replacement DVD drive may be necessary.

zemo

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I checked Device Manager and the DVD Drive doesnt show up...

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I dont think Im able to do that... Any advice?
Usually a laptop dvd drive can be taken out by first pressing the eject button then taking out a screw (sometimes 2)on the back of the laptop.You will need to do this anyway if replacing the drive.
If you can't figure how to do it instructions might be in the manual on the driver/software disk provided,obviously you will need access to another computer to run the disk.
It's recommended to unplug the laptop and remove the battery before doing this.

Last edited:

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
With the Enigma IV laptop, you have two screws. One for the main back plate, the other for the ODD. Unscrew the second one and pull the DVDRW drive out and put it back to test, if you still have problems then it sounds like a failed ODD!