Error Message

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi my laptop has recently flashed up a few times on boot up to say CMOS battery needs changing? anyone know if this is a quick fix? and which battery to use

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The cmos battery is just a watch battery, its a very quick fix on a desktop but on a laptop it means taking the bottom off which it a bit more fiddly. Don't know what type of watch battery it is (of if they are even all the same type) but it will be a small coin cell sized battery that you can just pull out and replace once the bottom of the laptop is removed to expose the mobo.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
The cmos battery is just a watch battery, its a very quick fix on a desktop but on a laptop it means taking the bottom off which it a bit more fiddly. Don't know what type of watch battery it is (of if they are even all the same type) but it will be a small coin cell sized battery that you can just pull out and replace once the bottom of the laptop is removed to expose the mobo.

Ah I thought it was! I'll just open it up the octane II is very easily opened. I'll remove the battery and replace for identical battery! thanks never had this issue before

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ah I thought it was! I'll just open it up the octane II is very easily opened. I'll remove the battery and replace for identical battery! thanks never had this issue before

Generally these batteries last several years (4 or 5 years is typical) so it's no surprise you've not seen it before. They are extremely cheap and usually fairly accessible - although on my Optimus IV you have to remove the keyboard to access it. :).

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hopefully it's an easy fix as it's due to be collected for sale in the next two days. In preparation of the eventual appearance of my new laptop :D

dan-dale

I'm using laptop since 2005, such thing never happens to me. Once I face the same issue in a desktop pc of one of my associates, we took it to a PC repairing lab and it was fixed right front of us in a minute. If you could find an easy solution and could get some more info of CMOS battery (if it all same for the laptops and PCs) then do let me know and upload some pics also if possible for me (in case if my CMOS stops working sometime).

Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm using laptop since 2005, such thing never happens to me. Once I face the same issue in a desktop pc of one of my associates, we took it to a PC repairing lab and it was fixed right front of us in a minute. If you could find an easy solution and could get some more info of CMOS battery (if it all same for the laptops and PCs) then do let me know and upload some pics also if possible for me (in case if my CMOS stops working sometime).

Thanks

https://www.google.com/search?site=...1ac.1.64.img..11.16.3126...0i10k1.bJIAcBUgKuo. Lots of pics there. I'm not at all sure that there are any Clevo laptops in there but it gives you an idea of what you're looking for.

:)