Ethernet breaking.

MrPau

....so sorry to trouble you.

My new PC is lovely - it does all I want. However - the ethernet adapter breaks after Windows updates itself. The troubleshooter says it has 'fixed' a 'default gateway not avaialble' - but - it still will not re-connect. Re-starting does not change the issue. Rolling back Windows (via system restore) 'fixes' the issue.

I have disabled the windows automatic update for now, but I would rather have updates if I can!. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Z490F
i9
64GB
Nvmie x 2

Thanks in advance.

MrPau

Hello - thank you for responding. Yes - PCS brand new - plumbed it in 4 days ago.

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i9-10900K 10 Core (3.7GHz @ up to 5.1GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX/SLI) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
500GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Capture/Streaming Cards
AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 - PCIe Card
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Supplied on USB Drive
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome

MrPau

Is this a PCS built machine? Can you post the full spec of what you bought in the end.
Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i9-10900K 10 Core (3.7GHz @ up to 5.1GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX/SLI) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
1st Storage Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Capture/Streaming Cards
AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 - PCIe Card
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Supplied on USB Drive
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome

Bhuna50

Author Level
Have you done all the obvious remedies to start with - opening the case, checking everything is securely fitted and not come loose in transit etc? Checked wiring etc?

Even removing and reseating the network card.

Checked its not a cable issue and tried a different cable etc?

MrPau

Have you done all the obvious remedies to start with - opening the case, checking everything is securely fitted and not come loose in transit etc? Checked wiring etc?

Even removing and reseating the network card.

Checked its not a cable issue and tried a different cable etc?
Thanks.

The system works perfectly - until Windows updates. Once windows updates - my network fails - if I roll back Windows - it works again - ergo I am assuming it is not a problem with the build - but an issue with a Windows 10 update causing the problem. The roll back removes the update and - voila - my network is back - so I assume the computer is fine.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
does the light on the network card flash, also check to see what it says about the card in the device manager.
What router is it plugged into

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks.

The system works perfectly - until Windows updates. Once windows updates - my network fails - if I roll back Windows - it works again - ergo I am assuming it is not a problem with the build - but an issue with a Windows 10 update causing the problem. The roll back removes the update and - voila - my network is back - so I assume the computer is fine.
Ok, give this a try then, run the updates, then go into the update history & remove each one at a time and make a note of the kb# of them as you remove them so you can see exactly which one is causing the problem

Bhuna50

Author Level
Does the card just disappear from the Device manager?

Have a look at the network drivers in device manager prior to the update and check them again after the update and see if they have actually changed too.

If they have can you just roll back the network card driver and does that fix it?

MrPau

Does the card just disappear from the Device manager?

Have a look at the network drivers in device manager prior to the update and check them again after the update and see if they have actually changed too.

If they have can you just roll back the network card driver and does that fix it?
No - the card is still there. Yes - I will make a note of the drivers. Good advice - thankyou.

MrPau

Ok, give this a try then, run the updates, then go into the update history & remove each one at a time and make a note of the kb# of them as you remove them so you can see exactly which one is causing the problem
Thanks so much - I wasn't aware that I could remove each update individually! - I have learned something today! - thank you very much for the advice.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Is it a built in LAN port to the motherboard - the other suggestion would be to download the latest drivers for the network LAN from asus and then after the update, remove the network driver and reinstall from the latest driver from asus.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Its no problem, that's what the forum is for, the real networking wizard is @ubuysa
Not so much a wizard, more a failed fairy..... [emoji23]

The clue I think is that the trouble-shooter sees a 'default gateway not available'. The 'default gateway' should be set to the IP address of your router. Can you post a screenshot of that part of the output of an ipconfig /all command that relates to your Ethernet adapter?

If it's a Windows update that makes the adapter fail then it might well be a driver update. Go into your update history and see whether there has been an update to the LAN driver. Alternatively the Asus supplied driver for the LAN adapter on your motherboard is at
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...bit_Ethernet_Driver_V1.0.1.4_WIN10_64-bit.zip.
Try installing that.

Later edit: it's also worth opening an elevated command prompt or PowerShell session and running the sfc /scannow command to check your system files.

Last edited:

Bhuna50

Author Level
Not so much a wizard, more a failed fairy..... :ROFLMAO:

The clue I think is that the trouble-shooter sees a 'default gateway not available'. The 'default gateway' should be set to the IP address of your router. Can you post a screenshot of that part of the output of an ipconfig /all command that relates to your Ethernet adapter?

If it's a Windows update that makes the adapter fail then it might well be a driver update. Go into your update history and see whether there has been an update to the LAN driver. Alternatively the Asus supplied driver for the LAN adapter on your motherboard is at
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...bit_Ethernet_Driver_V1.0.1.4_WIN10_64-bit.zip.
Try installing that.
Yay - the cavalry arrives :D

Its no problem, that's what the forum is for, the real networking wizard is @ubuysa

you call and they cometh...

MrPau

Is it a built in LAN port to the motherboard - the other suggestion would be to download the latest drivers for the network LAN from asus and then after the update, remove the network driver and reinstall from the latest driver from asus.
Thanks - will try that.