Ethernet cables

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
Hi I did a search but couldn't find what i was looking for.

Am I ok just to buy pretty much any cat7 ethernet cable for when my PC arrives. I'll be using 500mbs internet, which will hopefully increase to gigabit in the next 6-12 months. Does the distance of the cable matter? Is 2m better than 15-25m?

Oh and then the router itself I guess. Mine is just a standard one from ISP, I'll check what its capable of.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi I did a search but couldn't find what i was looking for.

Am I ok just to buy pretty much any cat7 ethernet cable for when my PC arrives. I'll be using 500mbs internet, which will hopefully increase to gigabit in the next 6-12 months. Does the distance of the cable matter? Is 2m better than 15-25m?

Oh and then the router itself I guess. Mine is just a standard one from ISP, I'll check what its capable of.
Is there CAT 7 now??? God I’m behind the times.

CAT 6 would be more than enough, Ethernet is good up to 100meters.

The limit will be the port on the router. For good networking, it’s generally advised to buy custom routers, but do see if your one is capable of gigabit.

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
Is there CAT 7 now??? God I’m behind the times.

CAT 6 would be more than enough, Ethernet is good up to 100meters.

The limit will be the port on the router. For good networking, it’s generally advised to buy custom routers, but do see if your one is capable of gigabit.

As always, thanks!!

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
If a router has gigabit ethernet ports, is it wrong to assume it can deliver that speed?

The cable will be 15m max. Where the fibre comes in, its the smallest room in the property. A desk for a 49" monitor is going to be a struggle haha.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If a router has gigabit ethernet ports, is it wrong to assume it can deliver that speed?

The cable will be 15m max. Where the fibre comes in, its the smallest room in the property. A desk for a 49" monitor is going to be a struggle haha.
If it specifically states gigabit then it will be gigabit.

15m won’t be a problem at all.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

Just to add.... it will deliver that speed on the network, the actual WAN speed will be determined by the provider. Apologies if that's obvious, just didn't want you disappointed with your internet speed :D

I have a 200MB line now (thanks VM for the upgrade) but have 1GB ports throughout. Maximum I hit is around 26MB/s on downloads. WLAN i hit around 80MB/s. Don't think I've tried LAN yet, I imagine 100MB/s is there if I need it though.

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
Just to add.... it will deliver that speed on the network, the actual WAN speed will be determined by the provider. Apologies if that's obvious, just didn't want you disappointed with your internet speed :D

I have a 200MB line now (thanks VM for the upgrade) but have 1GB ports throughout. Maximum I hit is around 26MB/s on downloads. WLAN i hit around 80MB/s. Don't think I've tried LAN yet, I imagine 100MB/s is there if I need it though.

I always appreciate anything you, Spyder, nurse and some others have to say. It's really amazing. In a world of "look at me and how amazing I am", real, quality, information is so valuable. And it's all free!!

Err the only problem now is, what is WAN and WLAN😂.

I have two ISP's. One is for general use and the Virgin 500mbs is exclusively for my new PC which you helped me with. I'll be using their router and a cat6 ethernet cable plugged directly into the PC.

If I'm not going to achieve the 500mbs, but I can with different hardware, then I'll upgrade. If whatever I do has little or no bearing, then that's it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Basically, WAN is your wide area network, that’s the feed from outside your house provided by your ISP.

WLAN is your wireless local area network, it just stands for your wireless internal network.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I always appreciate anything you, Spyder, nurse and some others have to say. It's really amazing. In a world of "look at me and how amazing I am", real, quality, information is so valuable. And it's all free!!

Err the only problem now is, what is WAN and WLAN😂.

I have two ISP's. One is for general use and the Virgin 500mbs is exclusively for my new PC which you helped me with. I'll be using their router and a cat6 ethernet cable plugged directly into the PC.

If I'm not going to achieve the 500mbs, but I can with different hardware, then I'll upgrade. If whatever I do has little or no bearing, then that's it.

Everything they provide will give you 500Mb/s to your PC. All hardware is ideal for it so you have no worries.

500Mb/s will work out approximately 62MB/s in real terms. All companies give you the Mb figure, which is Megabit. A bit is one 8th of a byte....... most things are referenced and known in megabytes.

This is the reason that all the numbers that providers give tend to be misunderstood.

That's some bandwidth though. What's it for?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I'd have said no need to go to the cost of CAT7 but I see the cables on Amazon now aren't that expensive.

WAN (Wide Area Network) - you can think of this as everything past your router. Everything in your house that is connected via cables is generally thought to be local and hence on the LAN (Local Area Network). Everything else, i.e. basically the internet in this case, to keep things simple is WAN

Anything inside your network (so still local, still on the LAN) that is connected wirelessly is on your Wireless LAN (the WLAN).

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
Everything they provide will give you 500Mb/s to your PC. All hardware is ideal for it so you have no worries.

500Mb/s will work out approximately 62MB/s in real terms. All companies give you the Mb figure, which is Megabit. A bit is one 8th of a byte....... most things are referenced and known in megabytes.

This is the reason that all the numbers that providers give tend to be misunderstood.

That's some bandwidth though. What's it for?

Thanks. Great explanation.

I'm betting on football live. It is considered, probably incorrectly, that every extra bit of bandwidth and every bit faster your PC the better. I am up against lots of people doing the same thing and the lengths people go to, to get a tiny advantage is quite extreme and expensive. That includes PC hardware and other things that can help.

In six months time when my profit and loss is no different from my current 62mbs and laptop setup, I'll concede all of this was unnecessary haha.

But it's like any similar industry, people always want to be better and faster. I don't want to be the fastest, but I do want to be fast.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Thanks. Great explanation.

I'm betting on football live. It is considered, probably incorrectly, that every extra bit of bandwidth and every bit faster your PC the better. I am up against lots of people doing the same thing and the lengths people go to, to get a tiny advantage is quite extreme and expensive. That includes PC hardware and other things that can help.

In six months time when my profit and loss is no different from my current 62mbs and laptop setup, I'll concede all of this was unnecessary haha.

But it's like any similar industry, people always want to be better and faster. I don't want to be the fastest, but I do want to be fast.

Ahhh yes, I remember the build now.

You're kind of on the right path. Have you spoken to VM regarding this? What you want to ensure is that you have the lowest possible latency available. It's likely that their 500Mb line is as good as it gets, but this is what is going to get you the results faster.... rather than the bandwidth.

Having said all that, it depends if you are using software or your brain to do the betting/calculating and how you are doing it. Bandwidth will come into play if you are automating the requests.

YEARS ago I knew a guy who created a betfair program that would automatically green up bets on horse racing. I don't know the exact algorithm but it would basically hammer the server with continuous requests and make tiny profits on bets..... 24/7, 1000s of bets per day. Ended up making a mint. Took the program to it's own server for a bump in performance and ended up with betfair contacting him for hammering their servers with the bandwidth he was using. They came to an arrangement and he bought a Porsche Turbo brand spanking new (him and his mate who came up with it). Not sure what happened with it, but it's some success story that's for sure.

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
I haven't yet no, but I will speak to virgin. Thanks for the tips.

I knew some people who moved their office into certain buildings in London to get the fastest speeds, best latency etc to do the automation. They put people on premium charge now, basically 20-60% tax on weekly profits. This was years ago also. There are still people using bots of course.

I will be using my brain to bet, no automation. Yesterday on a few trades I heard the bets go into the system before I saw them on screen. My laptop isn't up to it haha, but it's not going to cause me any problems. It's a lot of small things that add up. I'm currently watching one game at a time. Ideally I'd have three on at the same time and the ladders and other information I need on screen as well. So really good pc, fast fibre.

I've been moving from one thing to the next within gambling for twenty years. I'm a bit late on this, but there's still money to be made. And I've been fortunate to be doing other things during that time, that are now really not worth it imo. There's still money to be made, but I don't think it's the best use of my time.

Thanks for your help and information. I see you "remembered" my build 😂. At least I didn't go 3990x😉

Ps "remembered" as in you gave advice and I ignored it haha. I was very grateful it was checked for compatibility and bottlenecks

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The 500Mb line sounds ideal then. Just call up and ask if there are any options to reduce latency and weigh them up. I think it would be a business line but not sure if that's what the 500Mb line is anyway.

I think you're in for a treat when you get it set up ;)

It's a lot of money to spend to click more than 4 corners in the half though :D

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
The 500Mb line sounds ideal then. Just call up and ask if there are any options to reduce latency and weigh them up. I think it would be a business line but not sure if that's what the 500Mb line is anyway.

I think you're in for a treat when you get it set up ;)

It's a lot of money to spend to click more than 4 corners in the half though :D

Thanks I will. Let's get this pc, see how good I am in 6-12 months and then I'll possibly look at private or business fibre.

Yeah I'm really excited about the pc and monitors.

Those corner's really add up £££££!!! Plus my gaming chair really helps 😉

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
It should come as no surprise, but there also seems to be a shortage on high quality cat6/6a 25m+ cables. There's plenty on amazon and im sure they'll do the job? Im just not keen on them and a lot of the stuff they promote as their choice.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Any brand name of CAT cable is going to be fine. To be categorised as 6/6a, it must conform to that standard. Save for a non-branded "what length do you want it" trade sale, I wouldn't be too concerned.