Ethernet Controller I225-V keeps failing every 10ish days

I have the same exact problem. This time I am having a harder time trying to restore my ethernet connection. Windows 11 keeps removing the ethernet connection after getting a code 10, This Device Cannot Start. So, I uninstalled and reinstall the driver, plug and unplug the the ethernet cable, start restart the PC, but nothing so far. Digging into the Events Tab under the Device Manager for Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V Properties it shows:

Timestamp Description
2/23/2022 11:36:31 AM Device deleted
2/23/2022 11:36:52 AM Device configured (net2ic68.inf)
2/23/2022 11:36:53 AM Device not started (e2f68)

The information window for that last entry shows:
Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15F3&SUBSYS_87D21043&REV_03\6&102e3adf&0&0048020A had a problem starting.

Driver Name: net2ic68.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: e2f68
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0xA
Problem Status: 0xC0000001

The Resources Tab for the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V Properties in viewable from the Device Manager says:
Resource settings:
This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem.

so as far as I can tell Windows 11 is not playing nice with the net2ic68.inf file that is the device driver for the Intel I225-V.

Got my Ethernet adaptor back. It should look something like this in the Device Manager under the resources tab when it is working correctly:

Resource settings:
Resource type Setting
Memory Range 00000000FC200000 - 00000000FC2FFFFF
Memory Range 00000000FC300000 - 00000000FC303FFF
IRQ 0xFFFFFFC7 (-57)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFC6 (-58)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFC5 (-59)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFC4 (-60)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFC3 (-61)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFC2 (-62)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFC1 (-63)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFC0 (-64)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFBF (-65)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFBE (-66)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFBD (-67)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFBC (-68)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFBB (-69)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFBA (-70)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFB9 (-71)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFB8 (-72)
IRQ 0xFFFFFFB7 (-73)

...so if I were to guess Windows 11 is not allocating memory resources to the e2f68.sys file causing the Ethernet driver to fail. I think this is a Windows problem, that Microsoft needs to patch.

Also, I go to the "Network and Sharing Center">Change Adapter Settings, right click on my Ethernet I225-V Icon and select properties, click on the configure button, go to the power management tab, and deselect the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.

Also, saying a little prayer works too, but Microsoft still should fix this.

Last edited:

J4miee

Hi OP, I have the same issue with my new PCS build which is very close to the specs you have and also have to mess around uninstalling drivers ect to try and make it work every couple of weeks... It happened again today thus I found this post.
The comments made by Spyder, I tried them up to step 3 and I noticed my I225-V driver reappeared after disabling the wifi driver and before reinstalling anything, which I found odd. I then plugged my ethernet in and to my surprise, it was now working...
I'm not sure if the reason is the Wifi is somehow messing with the LAN as, like you, I have done many of different things to make it work again and the solution never seems the same each time it happens.
I hope you can figure it out for all of us.

Came across this reddit post:

1. Disconnect Ethernet cable
  2. Uninstall current Ethernet drivers
  3. Disable WiFi drivers
  4. Reinstall the intel i225 drivers directly from intel here
  5. Reconnect Ethernet cable
  6. Go into driver properties ---> power management and then disable the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Just to be safe.
I would strongly recommend getting a cat8 ethernet cable if you don't have one already because for some reason it wouldn't work with my cat5

I know it's old but I didn't think it'd make a difference which gen cable I used. But for whatever reason whenever I switched back to my older cable the Ethernet port would stop working and I'd have to repeat the process all over again.

If it's really this flaky, I would ask for an RMA with PCS, this isn't acceptable really.

So I haven’t found a permanent solution but i do know how to sort it when it happens.

Simply:
Unplug ethernet cable
Uninstall the driver
Shut down pc
Switch off the power
Power back on
Turn on pc
Plug ethernet back in.

Fixes it every time

J4miee

So I haven’t found a permanent solution but i do know how to sort it when it happens.

Simply:
Unplug ethernet cable
Uninstall the driver
Shut down pc
Switch off the power
Power back on
Turn on pc
Plug ethernet back in.

Fixes it every time
Back revisiting this thread as this issue has again happened to myself... I shall try this now and update if it works ty.

EDIT: FLAWLESS...worked straight away, I'll keep this trick in mind thanks buddy.

Last edited: