Ethernet not working on startup

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Been a while since I've had any issues but recently on startup, the ethernet doesn't work.

Instead of the ethernet / PC with cable symbol at the bottom right, it just shows the wifi symbol with a red cross (as I have no wifi hardware, all goes through ethernet).

However, after one restart, the computer seems to find it and all works fine. But obviously it's getting frustrating having to boot up + restart every time to get internet!

I've searched online elsewhere and tried updating drivers but not had any luck :(

Has anyone else seen this issue before / know a solution?

Thanks in advance
Elliot

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Sorry to bump an old thread but thought it better to do this than create a new one.

I'm still having issues with the network connection and have found a quicker solution than restarting each time.

What I'm doing now is going to Device Manager > Network Adapter > Right Clicking > Scan for Hardware Changes.

This prompts the computer to recognise the ethernet connection and it works fine.

However there's clearly an underlying issue here as I'm still having to do this every time I boot the computer up.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Many thanks
Elliot

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm sorry that nobody responded to your first post, that's unusual. :(

I'm assuming that this is a PCS built PC?

Did you upgrade to a newer version of Windows 10 just before this happened by any chance? If you did, and if you did that 'in place' and without doing a clean reinstall, that could well be your problem. If you did do a Windows 10 upgrade 'in place' you'd be well advised to do a clean install of the latest version.

Are you sure the proper chipset driver is installed? And are you sure you have the right LAN driver installed? Where are you getting your drivers from?

If you're certain that all the proper drivers are installed then I'd suspect a hardware issue, and that means a call to PCS I'm afraid.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Hello and no problem, easy to miss when there are so many posts!

And apologies for the very late reply!

In response to your questions:

Yes this was a PCS built PC however at the time (2012) it had Windows 7 in it. Unfortunately my memory isn't great but I believe I used the Windows free upgrade to Win10 but cannot remember when it was :/

I'm not so tech savvy on that side so are you able to advise on how to check my drivers are correct and up to date?
As far as I'm aware they update automatically but I have just downloaded the Intel Driver Assistant and that also said it's all up to date.

For reference it's the Intel (R) 82579V Gigabit Network Adapter that is malfunctioning.

Any other suggestions I can try before contacting PCS?

Thanks in advance as always!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
When you upgraded to Windows 10 did you do a clean install of Windows 10 or did you allow Windows 7 to upgrade itself to Windows 10? If it was the latter, and I'm betting that it is, this could possibly be the source of your problem. The very latest version of Windows 10 has just been released, you can download it from here, get the tool to write it to a USB stick and consider doing a clean install of Windows 10 from there.

If you don't fancy that, you could go into Device Manager and check that no devices have a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark inside. Any that do have the wrong or no driver installed.

You could also right-click on your LAN adapter in Device Manager and select 'Uninstall device' if it asks if you want to also uninstall the driver click 'Yes'. Then reboot and run the Intel driver assistant again, downloading and installing any driver(s) it finds.