Ethernet Problems

Ash

The little clip that holds the cable in the back of the PC/Router on the RJ45 broke. I tried to repair this by buying some new ones but I can't seem to get it to work. I've done at at Uni before but I always struggled getting the wires in the correct order. I've tried looking at guides online and tried copying the order of the other end of the cable but nothing works. I can't just replace the cable because it's a 30m one which goes around my entire house. Does anyone know the specific order the wires need to be in? Will it work if the wires are in the correct order at each end even if it's a made up order?

steaky360

Here's something, wee wiring guide.

Not sure if it'll work if you simply copy the connections on wither side but I guess it would... At least for a straight cable, the crossover looks a bit more complicated. Still this may help.

RJ45%20Diagram.jpg

EDIT: Just re-read your OP.

So you've already tried this and it still doesn't work? Are you sure you connected the ends correctly? Is there any way you can test each end to make sure you've not got any broken cables etc? (Millimeters or something I guess would work)

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
First you need to find out what wiring arrangement your cable has, ideally you would have done this before the end broke off as it could be a crossover arrangement like the pic above.

Try em one at a time would be my only advice... Oh and make sure they are connecting properly.