Everybody laugh at my stupidness please

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I would like to share my stupidness with you fellow forumers in hope to not only make you feel better about yourselves as you will have much higher intelligence than myself but also just because I feel like sharing a funny story that may have only happened to me on the planet.

Here we go...

So you order a custom PC, you spend weeks researching every specific part that you want to be inside it, you finally bring yourself to order it and wait the excruciating 9-11 day estimate for it to be built, it finally arrives on your doorstep, your life is finally complete, you unbox your new baby without being able to stop smiling, you open your beast up and take a look inside at those meaty components. Well no, not me. I failed to do the last point. I am the only person on the planet who orders a custom desktop and does not look inside it as soon as it arrives. I'd read the horror stories on the technical forums, I'd assumed people had been a bit silly and opened them up before testing them and somehow sabotaged their own machines so I decided not to.

I plugged it in, put it in it's spot which is quite confined although still ok for airflow. However, the side fans are restricted from view and I can't see behind it. I use my beautiful rig for 2 full days, works perfectly, wouldn't change a thing. However, I did have concerns over how to run my fans. I had auto-tuned them on the Asus Suite Software and it had only picked up 2 fans, my CPU and my front fan. Much less than what I was expecting from the Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced although I assumed that maybe it only came with 2 fans standard or that only the main fans showed up on the Asus Software and that the others were set to default speeds. Anyway I didn't worry myself over it too much as my temps were staying around 30 degrees anyway so it wasn't a concern.

On the third day, I pressed the on button... suddenly, I was faced with a lawnmower sound. Many thoughts rushed through my head, is a fan getting caught on something, is something loose? I decided now was the time to crack it open. I had no reason up till this point. Remember, curiosity did indeed kill the cat. I pulled it out of it's place and looked at the side vents. I couldn't see through them as I assumed some kind of dust filter was blocking my view.

Turns out I'd ran my desktop for 2 days with the insta-pack foam still inside to protect it in transit. Asus Suite suddenly picked up 4 fans instead of the original 2.

Please never listen to any advice that I offer on these forums and if I do, please remember this story before you take my opinion as law.

Thought I would share this to see if I was the only one! Read through every booklet in the welcome pack and I couldn't see anything about having to open it straight away! I guess I'm the only one who wasn't curious enough to take a peek as soon as it arrived!

Al.Neri

Super Star
isn't there a notice taped to the side of the case warning to remove the foam packaging? I seem to recall there was on the side of mine. I didn't really need it with my case, because it has a window on the side, and the blue foam packing stood out like a sore thumb. I don't think you can void anything just by opening the case.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
I knew as soon as you said you heard sounds that you'd forgotten to take the packaging out haha! I assume everything is still fine though?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Never had a notice on the side of my case, they obviously had read my forum posts complaining about Pre-production and thought they'd pull a fast one on me!

But yes, everything's running great :) I'm actually quite happy as I was over the moon with it in the first place and was even more surprised when I realised I was holding it back!

Blackdog

Bright Spark
Freaked out when my desktop was fully set up, turned on and auto shut off after a second. Turns out psus have I/O switches

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Haha as soon as you mentioned not looking inside the case I thought of the protection pack. Good thing nothing bad happened before you noticed :)

Corfate

Author Level
When i first got my original desktop, i forgot to order a wireless card. I called up saying something like "I can't connect my pc to the internet via wireless" "Whats your order number please?" "Yeah, that order didn't have a wireless card ordered for it" "oh.. erm.. damn.. okay, thankyou"

Boy did i feel like a idiot :p

Corfate

Author Level
heart.gif
Nothings changed then Corfate

Love you too Bowen!

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
When i first got my original desktop, i forgot to order a wireless card. I called up saying something like "I can't connect my pc to the internet via wireless" "Whats your order number please?" "Yeah, that order didn't have a wireless card ordered for it" "oh.. erm.. damn.. okay, thankyou"

Boy did i feel like a idiot :p

I kind of felt like this! I knew my motherboard supported wi-fi and was under the impression it would work just like a laptop and pick it up straight away. Well it didn't, wasn't picking up anything at all. I went through all my booklets and decided to download Asus Suite for wifi GO! to see if I was just missing some drivers or something. As I read more into this wi-fi GO! it seemed it had nothing to do with standard wireless.

Turns out I just had to plug my aerial in to make the wifi work! Which I found strange as my rig is black, my aerial is white. The aerial is magnetic which I thought was strange to have near a computer... unless it's some magic magnet that doesn't effect circuits or anything but rather than taking the risk it is now stuck to my fridge!

Think I may need to invest in homeplugs as the connection isn't always the steadiest!

Jedimaca

Bronze Level Poster
Ha ha ... That's nothing I remember when I first moved into my own flat I bought a new washing machine after the one i inherited broke i unwrapped it connected it hoses etc plugged it in did a wash and it was very very noisy banging all over the place I was thinking wtf something aint right here i mean its like is possesed or something it frightened the hell out of me i thought it must be a dodgy one so rang the shop. They said did you remove ther transit bolts. I thought wtf are they me being a dumb ass never read the instructions and dint have a clue about these things hey said its dangerous and they are just to hold the drum in place whilst it is being transported and I could have caused a fire or something. Boy did I feel like an idiot!

isakal

Good read Grimezy! Have some rep +

I wasn't expecting the foam either and removing that stuff without knocking any components inside was probably the most stressful part of the setting up process! Could I ask, did you get your Wi-Fi to actually work on the asus p8z77-v MOBO? I Had to purchase an extra long CAT5 cable because my on board wireless card just plain doesn't work, picks up 1-2 bars and disconnects from my wireless constantly (only gripe I have with the system). You're saying you attached an antennae to it? Could you explain? :) If you have a different MOBO, please disregard this question but I remember you saying that our systems are quite similar in the past.

steaky360

51042NI6I4L._SL500_.jpg

Sorry for the crappy image but there should be a white round antenna in your welcome pack :) If you connect that you might find that you have a significantly stronger signal than before.

If you did not receive one, let PCS know and they will surely send you one out :)

isakal

Oh wow steaky, thanks for the tip!! I never thought i'd need to attach something onto the wireless card!
Will check as soon as I get home.

steaky360

Anytime, hope it is in there somewhere! You will still have a better connection with your long CAT5 cable though (obviously :p)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Yea like Steaky has said, there should be a white antenna in the box. Basically a cable with a big round circle on the end of it that's magnetic!

Mine wasn't picking up wireless at all, like wouldn't let me search for networks or anything. Tried manually entering the details, etc, no luck. Tried installing the motherboards software as it has 'Wi-fi GO!' on it and figured that could be it. It wasn't. Plugged the antenna in and picked it up straight away!

Snowik

Bronze Level Poster
That's right up there with "hey my dxdiag isn't showing my gfx card wth PCS"
"check your device manager"
"oh..."

We've all done at least one stupid thing this year mate!