Exploring Upgrade Options

Hi all.

My PC is almost 2 years old now and owes me nothing, been superb but only recently it's got louder and once it shut down after the fans sped up really fast. What can I / should I upgrade?

Case
THERMALTAKE V200 2.0 TEMPERED GLASS RGB EDITION GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard
ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready

Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready

1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE

1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler

Thanks for you help!

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi all.

My PC is almost 2 years old now and owes me nothing, been superb but only recently it's got louder and once it shut down after the fans sped up really fast. What can I / should I upgrade?

Case
THERMALTAKE V200 2.0 TEMPERED GLASS RGB EDITION GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard
ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready

Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready

1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE

1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler

Thanks for you help!
Can you pin point what it is exactly that's getting louder? Have you monitored the temps, I would suspect the CPU cooler which I've seen a number of people have had them fail in the past few weeks, to me nothing certainly needs upgraded but I'd want a better CPU Cooler for that level of CPU

Aza

Rising Star
The PCS liquid coolers have always been unreliable, and wouldnt cope well with that CPU anyway.
Can you hear a rumbling/vibrating grrrr noise coming from it? Another thing highlighted teh other day was to check the temps of the coolant pipes...is one significantly warmer than the other?

Other thing to ask is how often are you cleaning out the fans/radiator?

I would tackle the cooler as a priority, if you were going to look at anything after that to upgrade, nothing really -needs- anything doing but perhaps the RAM to 3200MHz or 3600MHz (but it wouldnt give you any great boost) and maybe thinking about the PSU (but that can be put off until you need to upgrade the GPU which would think a year or so yet)

Can you pin point what it is exactly that's getting louder? Have you monitored the temps, I would suspect the CPU cooler which I've seen a number of people have had them fail in the past few weeks, to me nothing certainly needs upgraded but I'd want a better CPU Cooler for that level of CPU

Apologies for not getting back sooner, been a bit rough recently! Thanks for the reply.

I think it's the 2 fans attached to the cooler that get louder, and it seems to happen with simple tasks like watching YouTube or even listening to Spotify. I've not monitored the temps and wouldn't really know how to go about that.

The PCS liquid coolers have always been unreliable, and wouldnt cope well with that CPU anyway.
Can you hear a rumbling/vibrating grrrr noise coming from it? Another thing highlighted teh other day was to check the temps of the coolant pipes...is one significantly warmer than the other?

Other thing to ask is how often are you cleaning out the fans/radiator?

I would tackle the cooler as a priority, if you were going to look at anything after that to upgrade, nothing really -needs- anything doing but perhaps the RAM to 3200MHz or 3600MHz (but it wouldnt give you any great boost) and maybe thinking about the PSU (but that can be put off until you need to upgrade the GPU which would think a year or so yet)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I can't hear rumbling or vibrating, just the sound of fans getting faster then after a short while it turns off completely. 1 pipe is warmer than the other, but not significantly. It does get warmer though.

I could probably clean out the fans & radiator more often, at the minute it'd only be when I hear them struggling, every couple of weeks? Before it was more like months.

What would be recommended to replace the cooler with?

Thanks again.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Any recommended CPU cooling options then? It's becoming more & more of an issue.
Yeah for the 3900x I personally would want the H115i from Corsair

If one pipe is warmer than the other then it absolutely sounds like the pump is failing on that cooler mate

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah for the 3900x I personally would want the H115i from Corsair

If one pipe is warmer than the other then it absolutely sounds like the pump is failing on that cooler mate
But surely that's always the case, warm liquid flowing away from pump, cooler liquid flowing to pump after passing through rad?

steaky360

I'm not sure where you (and many others here) have seen sufficient evidence to say that the PCS coolers are specifically unreliable... At least, I haven't seen enough of them to conclude this personally.

I don't think this means that specifically without checking. I'd suggest if its not significantly warmer it might not really mean anything (one pipe comes from the CPU so surely carries warmer liquid right?).

It could be an indicator of an issue, but it might be just a case of a re-paste is needed rather than an entirely new cooler?

@sykoactiv8d If it were me, I'd try a re-paste first, if the CPU & Cooler has been fine for 2 years I wouldn't say it needs changing necessarily.