External backing up of Folders of docs and pics and Emails.

Balliol1974

A long time ago I backed up a large number of Folders and Emails by placing them on a DVD and it was a few years latter before I tried to open some of what I had saved with a poor result.
As a result of that experience I have the following question.
In the event that one wishes to create an external record of a collection of Document folders, Photograph folders and Emails what is the advised course of action? Using DVDs or using USBs?
There is of course really external possibilities but I have to admit to knowing nothing about them.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
DVDs are generally what are known as WORM devices: Write Once Read Many. Rewritable DVDs are available of course but I wouldn't trust essential backup to them. Thus a DVD is useful for a one-off copy that will never need updating. That said, the 4GB size of a DVD is a seriously limiting factor given terabyte drives that are common these days.

For a simple but effective backup option you really need an external hard disk that is easily (and safely) rewritable.

A much more effective and useful external storage solution is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) which removes the storage of critical files from the individual devices you have, and allows all devices to access these files easily. If you set up a mirrored RAID array in your NAS then backup copies are automatic due to the disk mirroring.

Balliol1974

DVDs are generally what are known as WORM devices: Write Once Read Many. Rewritable DVDs are available of course but I wouldn't trust essential backup to them. Thus a DVD is useful for a one-off copy that will never need updating. That said, the 4GB size of a DVD is a seriously limiting factor given terabyte drives that are common these days.

For a simple but effective backup option you really need an external hard disk that is easily (and safely) rewritable.

A much more effective and useful external storage solution is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) which removes the storage of critical files from the individual devices you have, and allows all devices to access these files easily. If you set up a mirrored RAID array in your NAS then backup copies are automatic due to the disk mirroring.

Many thanks, I will lookup NAS etc.