External Graphics card for laptops (Discuss)

Raptor

Enthusiast
So i know there are things Asus XG station and Magma express box
And i was wondering
what are your opinions on them?
Personally i prefer Asus XG Station

Short discription by a random

Detailed description but you need google chrome with google translate within so it would translate the article

Pc World Article

So by the looks of it i could plug in lets say ATI HD 6770 instead of the graphics card that it comes with and enjoy high end gaming

This is a considerable good option since only few laptops support replaceable graphics cards which are limited to maximum GTX 280 because of the MXM slot.
So you could just plug up the external graphics card through your unused PCI-E slot though than again it may be limited to lower end graphics card depending on the connection type.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i would definitely be interested in this, what is the connection to the laptop?

i wouldnt even want a 6770, id be happy with a 6450 which would allow me to play 10x better than my integrated

Corfate

Author Level
The first link made google chrome pop up with a warning, about the site distributing malware :(

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yeh i remember seeing that one and that was the problem as i dont have one of those

Do they have their own power supply/battery because the laptop power supplies are a fraction of the power this would require

if its a USB thing, I'm in

Raptor

Enthusiast
It uses the external internet card slot
that one that pops up from the side as a PCI - E slot
Yes it's external power supply for it

El Wayneo

Silver Level Poster
I imagine once they really take off someone will invent a better interface for them and they will become standard, probably going to massively expensive though and not without a few issues.