External Harddrive Failure

Xoil

Basicly i have a external HD thats 500GB and it recently failed. (Well when i plug it into my pc the pc crashes). Does anyone know where i can get it recovered?

baron75mk2

Banned
Basicly i have a external HD thats 500GB and it recently failed. (Well when i plug it into my pc the pc crashes). Does anyone know where i can get it recovered?

When you say the pc crashes , in what way ? does the external just stop the pc from booting with it plugged in ? or when the pc is actually running plugging it in causes the pc to crash ?

Xoil

When i plug the USB into the usb port on the pc the whole pc just freezes and becomes unresponsive. This happens when booting and with it already booted.

baron75mk2

Banned
When i plug the USB into the usb port on the pc the whole pc just freezes and becomes unresponsive. This happens when booting and with it already booted.

i understand now , was just interested as i had a similar issue myself with a WD external , but this was just stopping me from booting (locking up my bios basically) , turned out that the actuall HDD its self was fine , it was the SATA to USB converter that had failed inside the case , so i removed it from the enclosure & just installed it in the pc as a standard internal HDD & it was all fine , never had any more issues with it - but it did not actually crash my pc , just prevented me from booting it.

Has is still go some kind of warranty ? - if not you could always try what i did maybe its a similar issue with the SATA to USB converter in the enclosure ? - i really couldnt say , but if you still have a warranty you could just send it back for repair.

Edit : im sure you would have tried this but id better post anyway ; have you tried other usb ports ? , maybe The usb port/ connector is dirty / dusty or something along these lines ?

Last edited:

Xoil

Ive managed to boot it up with it in now, i think it might have been a drive lettering issue...