External monitor connected to Ionico 17 not showing 1440p

Hey. I've just connected my new Asus VG27A(Q) to my laptop via HDMI (using the HDMI cable that came bundled with the monitor), but my new monitor is showing 1080p instead of 1440p despite being selected (I know because my old monitor looks the same). It's showing 144Hz as it should but not the resolution. Is this something to do with scaling? my new monitor is at 100% scaling whilst my laptop is at 150%. Is there a limitation with the Ionico on showing resolutions higher than 1080p on external monitors? Please help

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey. I've just connected my new Asus VG27A(Q) to my laptop via HDMI (using the HDMI cable that came bundled with the monitor), but my new monitor is showing 1080p instead of 1440p despite being selected (I know because my old monitor looks the same). It's showing 144Hz as it should but not the resolution. Is this something to do with scaling? my new monitor is at 100% scaling whilst my laptop is at 150%. Is there a limitation with the Ionico on showing resolutions higher than 1080p on external monitors? Please help
Can you take a screenshot of your display settings?

1638313956241.png

The settings show it's running at 1440p and the monitor itself is stating the same in the monitor on-screen display. i apologise if I'm being stupid here and this is how it's meant to look but it looks just like 1080p.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
View attachment 30836
The settings show it's running at 1440p and the monitor itself is stating the same in the monitor on-screen display. i apologise if I'm being stupid here and this is how it's meant to look but it looks just like 1080p.
Firstly, is the Ionico 17" not 1440p? Or are you comparing against a different 1080p display?

Apologies if you're aware of all this, but it's always good to have explanations around the forum as it's an often misunderstood area.

What are you expecting to see from a higher resolution? The picture will be the same as in what is shown on the screen, but as there are far more pixels representing an area of the picture, the detail is far superior

There's nothing that suggests that's running at 1080p.

But your HDR doesn't appear to be setup, it's worth configuring that as it makes a major improvement for gaming.

Resolution can be a little confusing.

Imagine you have an inch squared and that's represented with 24" 1080p, that's roughly 92 pixels per inch.

Then say you have a 27" 1440p monitor, that same information is shown but at roughly 108 pixels per inch.

Those extra 16 pixels are able to produce far smoother lines, more detailed textures etc etc, but the overall picture is exactly the same.

Remember, lines aren't lines on a display, they're just a series of dots, the higher resolution you go up, the smoother that line is able to be represented on screen as you have much smaller dots (pixels) and more of them to produce the same line:

anti.png

It's only when you get to alternative aspect ratio's like Ultrawide or Superwide that you'll see more of the picture, so actual wider view of the game window.

If you set your 1080p monitor to 100%, scaling (which every single monitor should be at imho, if it's too small at that scaling then the monitor isn't suitable), you'll see the inherent difference in real estate of 1080p vs 1440p. Drag a window from one display to the next and you'll see what a huge difference it actually is.

Firstly, is the Ionico 17" not 1440p? Or are you comparing against a different 1080p display?

Apologies if you're aware of all this, but it's always good to have explanations around the forum as it's an often misunderstood area.

What are you expecting to see from a higher resolution? The picture will be the same as in what is shown on the screen, but as there are far more pixels representing an area of the picture, the detail is far superior

There's nothing that suggests that's running at 1080p.

But your HDR doesn't appear to be setup, it's worth configuring that as it makes a major improvement for gaming.

Resolution can be a little confusing.

Imagine you have an inch squared and that's represented with 24" 1080p, that's roughly 92 pixels per inch.

Then say you have a 27" 1440p monitor, that same information is shown but at roughly 108 pixels per inch.

Those extra 16 pixels are able to produce far smoother lines, more detailed textures etc etc, but the overall picture is exactly the same.

Remember, lines aren't lines on a display, they're just a series of dots, the higher resolution you go up, the smoother that line is able to be represented on screen as you have much smaller dots (pixels) and more of them to produce the same line:

View attachment 30837

It's only when you get to alternative aspect ratio's like Ultrawide or Superwide that you'll see more of the picture, so actual wider view of the game window.

If you set your 1080p monitor to 100%, scaling (which every single monitor should be at imho, if it's too small at that scaling then the monitor isn't suitable), you'll see the inherent difference in real estate of 1080p vs 1440p. Drag a window from one display to the next and you'll see what a huge difference it actually is.
Thank you, i didn't think about PPI