Extreme SLI Gaming Laptop

Dash

I want a SLI gaming laptop which will play all games in ultra settings and also last me a good 5-10 years (10 years pushing it I guess:) ). This is what I am seriously considering, I would like to know anyone's suggestions or comments - Thanks:

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4910MQ (2.90GHz) 8MB
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X IMPACT 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
2 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
1st Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
RAID
RAID 0 (STRIPED VOLUME - 2 x same size & model HDD / SSD)
M.2 SSD Drive
240GB INTEL® 530 mSATA 6Gb/s SSD (upto 540MB/sR | 480MB/sW)
2nd mSATA/M.2 SSD Drive
240GB INTEL® 530 mSATA 6Gb/s SSD (upto 540MB/sR | 480MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-7260 HMC (867Mbps, 802.11AC) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
4 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
Vortex Elite 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,800 mAh/89.21WH)
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 330W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Windows 10 Upgrade
FREE Upgrade to Windows 10 with all Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 Purchases*
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Promotional Item
FREE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT Game with Select GTX 9 Series GPUs!
Quantity

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What's your max budget? I know the idea of future proofing is a good one, but to be honest I doubt even this setup would last five years before you're turning down settings, there are big changes currently happening to both game development and hardware development and I think things will change a lot in the next few years and requirements also.

Dash

Budget abt 3k. Do you reckon that I will be able to upgrade later as I understand that the chassis is a Clevo 375sma and is supposed to be upgradeable.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I think the higher end laptop GPUs are upgradeable but it is not known what GPUs you will be able to upgrade to. They may end up changing the architecture for the next series or something like that. And laptop GPUs are difficult to get hold of for a consumer.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think the higher end laptop GPUs are upgradeable but it is not known what GPUs you will be able to upgrade to. They may end up changing the architecture for the next series or something like that. And laptop GPUs are difficult to get hold of for a consumer.

They're also extremely expensive... A gtx980m upgrade mxm module for the vortex iv 17" currently stands at about £600

Rakk

The Awesome
Budget abt 3k. Do you reckon that I will be able to upgrade later as I understand that the chassis is a Clevo 375sma and is supposed to be upgradeable.

Personally I'd spend half of that now and you'll get a good machine and then spend the same amount in a few years and you'll have a good brand new machine then as well :)

Dash

All, I appreciate your responses. With two GTX980 GPUs, and a good CPU (I read up on these, did comparisons etc....), would you expect this spec to allow gaming at ultra settings for at least approx. 4 years? I understand architecture is likely to change, that is to be expected. I have also considered the MSI GT80 Titan, but this laptop is too weighty (for my lap!). I suppose I am asking if there any positives with this spec.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
All, I appreciate your responses. With two GTX980 GPUs, and a good CPU (I read up on these, did comparisons etc....), would you expect this spec to allow gaming at ultra settings for at least approx. 4 years? I understand architecture is likely to change, that is to be expected. I have also considered the MSI GT80 Titan, but this laptop is too weighty (for my lap!). I suppose I am asking if there any positives with this spec.

if you want to play games with it on your lap, the weight won't be your biggest concern. You'll have burnt legs in a matter of minutes.

Dash

When I mean lap, I would of course use a cooling pad on my lap first (I do this now with my Alienware Laptop) - again, please comment or provide thoughts on the spec and my own comments. So far I am not hearing anything positive, so perhaps I should be rethinking my outlook on this?