Factory reset issues

troyzer

Hi all,

I'm trying to factory reset my Defiance 17.3" laptop using the Windows restore tool.

I set it to clear all data and reinstall Windows from the drive. I knew it would take a while but it's stuck on the PCS logo and a spinning white wheel for literally two days now and I'm getting worried. My specs are below but are slightly wrong because I have added another 16GB and installed a Samsung EVO 970 Plus as my boot drive.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Chassis & DisplayDefiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8850H (2.6GHz, 4.3GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB ADATA SX6000 PCIe M.2 2280 (1000 MB/R, 800 MB/W)
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all,

I'm trying to factory reset my Defiance 17.3" laptop using the Windows restore tool.

I set it to clear all data and reinstall Windows from the drive. I knew it would take a while but it's stuck on the PCS logo and a spinning white wheel for literally two days now and I'm getting worried. My specs are below but are slightly wrong because I have added another 16GB and installed a Samsung EVO 970 Plus as my boot drive.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Chassis & DisplayDefiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8850H (2.6GHz, 4.3GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB ADATA SX6000 PCIe M.2 2280 (1000 MB/R, 800 MB/W)
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
Windows reset isn't recommended as it will retain any issues left from the previous installation.

It's best to do a clean install.

troyzer

Even more important to do a clean install.

Either way, that would still be the suggestion.
Fair enough.

I'll do a clean install when I can. In the meantime, it's still stuck on this PCS loading screen for the last two days.

Any ideas on how long I can expect this to take?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Fair enough.

I'll do a clean install when I can. In the meantime, it's still stuck on this PCS loading screen for the last two days.

Any ideas on how long I can expect this to take?
It won't complete, it's stuck.

Just clean install.

troyzer

You don't clean install from windows, you boot from a windows installer.

Yes, I know. I need a USB stick with Windows on it and do it from the BIOS.

But I can't do anything at the moment. It's stuck on this screen and I'm worried that doing anything to turn it off will just brick it. I don't know if it's in the middle of wiping my drive or if it's actually just stuck. There's no indication.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes, I know. I need a USB stick with Windows on it and do it from the BIOS.

But I can't do anything at the moment. It's stuck on this screen and I'm worried that doing anything to turn it off will just brick it. I don't know if it's in the middle of wiping my drive or if it's actually just stuck. There's no indication.
It's already bricked, the reset failed.

You just need to clean install.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
But it's stuck at the boot logo...and the OP wants to know how to get it out of that to be able to wipe/reinstall Windows.

But as others have said, you won't do any further damage to your Windows install as it's corrupt already, and you've probably lost everything already...so a reformat and reinstall will simply give you a fresh copy of Windows (assuming you've already go the installer USB via the Microsoft tool). This will also ensure no personal data is easily accessible by the new owner.

You will have to hard reset / force reboot the laptop to get it out of the 'lock' - I'm not familiar with PCS laptops, but most will respond to a long press on the power button. If that fails, then remove the power and battery, and then replace them both and restart into the BIOS/USB stick.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
But it's stuck at the boot logo...and the OP wants to know how to get it out of that to be able to wipe/reinstall Windows.

But as others have said, you won't do any further damage to your Windows install as it's corrupt already, and you've probably lost everything already...so a reformat and reinstall will simply give you a fresh copy of Windows (assuming you've already go the installer USB via the Microsoft tool). This will also ensure no personal data is easily accessible by the new owner.

You will have to hard reset / force reboot the laptop to get it out of the 'lock' - I'm not familiar with PCS laptops, but most will respond to a long press on the power button. If that fails, then remove the power and battery, and then replace them both and restart into the BIOS/USB stick.
You just press and hold the power key to turn it off and then restart, same on any X86 device.

Last edited: