Failed hard drive??

steveuk87

Super Star
Hey guys,

Ive just had a blue screen on my laptop (year old) now it wont boot up except from the boot disk, with a little digging ive seen that the mbr is corrupt except it cant find the hard drive...

does this mean the HDD is dead?

I really need to get onto it prefareably

Thanks

Steve

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Hey guys,

Ive just had a blue screen on my laptop (year old) now it wont boot up except from the boot disk, with a little digging ive seen that the mbr is corrupt except it cant find the hard drive...

does this mean the HDD is dead?

I really need to get onto it prefareably

Thanks

Steve

Hmmm corrupt doesn't necessarily mean dead! Are you able to run a HDD test in the bios? Usually you would get a SMART error in advance if your HDD was dying. :) Also, can you hear the HDD spinning at all?

steveuk87

Super Star
Hmmm corrupt doesn't necessarily mean dead! Are you able to run a HDD test in the bios? Usually you would get a SMART error in advance if your HDD was dying. :) Also, can you hear the HDD spinning at all?

Hi NathanJRB, I can hear it trying to read the HDD sounds like the old 56k modem spinning up to be honest, and no its not registering in the BIOS

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
If it sounds like it's spinning and then stopping that's probably not a great sign. Your BIOS should auto detect HDDs though - you haven't changed any settings or anything?

steveuk87

Super Star
no i was literally about to send an E-Mail and the whole thing froze, BSOD and then refused to boot up, it was trying to boot from network card....