Failed hard drive?

dani72

Silver Level Poster
I've been having all sorts of issues with my PC since the PSU died last September. I ended up having to get the motherboard replaced which is annoying since the PC was less than 3 years old when all this started. I had a Gigabyte motherboard in my previous PC (a non PCS build) and it lasted almost 10 years without a problem but since I got my current PC from PCS two of them have failed.

Anyway everything is now working fine since the motherboard was replaced except that the 2TB Seagate Barracuda Pro 3.5" drive wont show up in windows. I'm pretty sure that everything is connected OK. The Samsung m.2 drive is fine and windows loads OK. My question is how do I know if the 3.5" drive has died? I really don't want to replace it only to discover that that wasn't the issue at all.

Edit: My new motherboard is an Asus Prime Z390-P

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've been having all sorts of issues with my PC since the PSU died last September. I ended up having to get the motherboard replaced which is annoying since the PC was less than 3 years old when all this started. I had a Gigabyte motherboard in my previous PC (a non PCS build) and it lasted almost 10 years without a problem but since I got my current PC from PCS two of them have failed.

Anyway everything is now working fine since the motherboard was replaced except that the 2TB Seagate Barracuda Pro 3.5" drive wont show up in windows. I'm pretty sure that everything is connected OK. The Samsung m.2 drive is fine and windows loads OK. My question is how do I know if the 3.5" drive has died? I really don't want to replace it only to discover that that wasn't the issue at all.

Edit: My new motherboard is an Asus Prime Z390-P
Can you post the full specs from your orders page

dani72

Silver Level Poster
Can you post the full specs from your orders page

CaseSend In Your Own Case
Case Model:Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 6
Case From:Amazon.co.uk
Overclocked CPUOverclocked Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Six Core (3.7GHz @ up to 4.8GHz)
OC BIOS FIle
MotherboardGigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti - DVI, HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2100MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H100i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal PasteEK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
Extra Case FansNONE
Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1 PCI-E Soundcard
Wireless/Wired NetworkingASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 2100Mbps/5GHz, 1000Mbps/2.4GHz
USB/Thunderbolt Options2 PORT (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Single Licence
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office SoftwareNO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
MonitorSamsung LC24F390FHUXEN Curved 24"
down_right_arrow.gif

Change to: SAMSUNG LC27F591FDUXEN 27" Curved LED Monitor
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery2 - 3 DAY DELIVERY TO REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
Build TimeStandard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days

dani72

Silver Level Poster
Have you physically checked the connections, does it show in disc management & the bios

Yeah, I checked & double checked the connections and they seem to be fine. It doesn't show up in disc management but I haven't checked the BIOS yet.