Fake GPU's on marketplaces, please be aware

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Please please all of you be aware of this.

Used Crypto GPU's are absolutely hammered to death, and are never a good buy anyway.

If you're buying second hand GPU's you have to be extremely careful that you're buying from a reputable seller, but this really clouds the second hand market generally as you never know where they've got their card.

To verify the actual die used, you can use something like GPU-Z:

Last edited:

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Please please all of you be aware of this.

Used Crypto GPU's are absolutely hammered to death, and are never a good buy anyway.

If you're buying second hand GPU's you have to be extremely careful that you're buying from a reputable seller, but this really clouds the second hand market generally as you never know where they've got their card.

To verify the actual die used, you can use something like GPU-Z:

I personally would always think twice about buying used pc parts, as you just don't know how they have been used,

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I personally would always think twice about buying used pc parts, as you just don't know how they have been used,
I would 100% agree. Aside from the distrust of the legitimacy of the card and how it's been used, you miss out on warranty entirely which is incredibly valuable for peace of mind on such an expensive component.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I bought a used graphics card last year. I don't think it's a bad idea in every context. Before I bought it, though, I got a photo of the original receipt and one of it in the system it had been running in. I paid £370, which was then £150 less than the price online (if you could find availability). This was a bit of a gamble, but overall I think it was a good call. I also met the seller in person and examined the card with him present. With proper provision, I think buying some components second hand can be a good decision.

But never buy second hand storage, and be very careful with everything, and make sure that the price difference makes up for the downsides like a lack of warranty.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I bought a used graphics card last year. I don't think it's a bad idea in every context. Before I bought it, though, I got a photo of the original receipt and one of it in the system it had been running in. I paid £370, which was then £150 less than the price online (if you could find availability). This was a bit of a gamble, but overall I think it was a good call. I also met the seller in person and examined the card with him present. With proper provision, I think buying some components second hand can be a good decision.

But never buy second hand storage, and be very careful with everything, and make sure that the price difference makes up for the downsides like a lack of warranty.
That's a really good idea, always ask for proof of purchase from the seller, they should be able to prove it's been theirs from new.

But be sure it's not a crypto mining unit, normally seller feedback on places like eBay are pretty good to judge an honest and established seller.

I would recommend NOT using Amazon Marketplace at all, it's too easy to leave fake reviews, and they don't really do any due diligence to validate a seller. Amazon Marketplace and Amazon are two entirely separate entities, there is very little done to be sure it's not a fake product or even that it meets basic manufacturing or safety standards. Amazon were hit by lawsuits back in 2020 and in court over this and promised to do better, but if anything it's got worse

I wouldn't buy a 3rd hand one at all, too risky.

Last edited: