Fan controller ??? What temps + liquid cooling????

tonwin

I am purchasing NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller for my pc and I'm pretty new to gaming pc's
I have a couple of question really !
My first question is about temperatures for the different components inside a pc. I will have to put the temperature sensors from the fan controller on various components and would really like to know where would be the best places to place the sensors so I can get an accurate temp reading for that particular component.
Also what are ideal running temps for components in pc ....ie (processor/ram/graphics cards/hard drive etc etc) and what would be a good temp to set on the fan controller when the components start to get too hot (so fan controller up's the RPM on indivdual fans)

Whats the situation with fan controllers and liquid cooling too. I have COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) installed to cool my Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core processor, obviously this is taking the job of a heatsink with a fan on, so should I connect the liquid cooling to fan controller too or leave it independant to itself and let it run it's own setting. (I have not touched the setting...(if there are any)...of the liquid cooling, so not sure its adjustable in anyway.
I have 2 fans on the radiator of the liquid cooler (back and front side) so maybe this would be better to connect the fans to the appropriate temp sensor. (I'll paste a pic so you can see)

Sorry if this sound's all NOOB'ish but it's best to know than to be unsure :)

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00559.jpg

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'm not very clued up on fan controllers or how fans are connected, but keep the case fans attached to that once you get and Keep the eco fans connected to where you have them connected now. Are you using a PWM Y Cable?

Also I notice that you have two different fans on your rad. The only reason I point it out is that you should really have two of the same fans on the rad. I will try and give you a example of what I mean, say for instance the blue fan you have is spinning faster and shifting slightly more air than the eco rad fan at the back. Now if the air is getting pulled into the rad, but the eco stock cannot pull the same amount if air through. Then in theory more air is getting pushed into the rad than the stock fan can pull out. This could cause a kinda turbulence between the two fans.

It's my advice that you get a extra blue fan and remove the stock fan. Therefore both fans can work together at the same speed, shifting the same amount of air. I hope this kinda makes senses and helps you.

Tom

Edit - if you need any advice on cooling or anything give me a shout.

Last edited:

tonwin

Advice taken Tom thanks
No I am not using a PWM Y cable but will def get one put in now and yes that sounds obvious now you mention it about the different fans on the radiator. (note to self: buy new 120mm coolermaster fan :p)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Advice taken Tom thanks
No I am not using a PWM Y cable but will def get one put in now and yes that sounds obvious now you mention it about the different fans on the radiator. (note to self: buy new 120mm coolermaster fan :p)

no worries, I only knew cause I read it on the net. lol

Also would you like the link for the PWM Y cable I use?
Is the coolermaster 120mm fan a PWM fan?

Edit - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-031-AK

Last edited:

tonwin

The coolermaster fan isn't PWN fan (3 wire) but the stock fan on the radiator is I think (4 wire) ??? I do sometimes here a fan speed up when my pc is executing different tasks so I'm assuming it must be that fan. (look in bottom pic on orginal post you can see a black 4 wire pin in top of motherboard on centre right)
and yes please feel free to pass the link on :)

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
The coolermaster fan isn't PWN fan (3 wire) but the stock fan on the radiator is I think (4 wire) ??? I do sometimes here a fan speed up when my pc is executing different tasks so I'm assuming it must be that fan. (look in bottom pic on orginal post you can see a black 4 wire pin in top of motherboard on centre right)
and yes please feel free to pass the link on :)

It sounds like one fan is spinning faster than the other.
Here's the link for a Akasa pwm y cable. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-031-AK

the eco stock fan will be 4 pin and connected to the cpu fan header, just above where the ram sits (i have the same motherboard as you z68). I don't know where you have the coolermaster fan is connected? But a pwm y cable would plugged into there the eco fan is now. It allows three fans to be connected, one connection to the motherboard and one connection to the psu. Therefore the motherboard doesn't have to worry about powering the fans but controlling the speed, which I guess takes the strain of the power consumption off motherboard. Now it might cause a problem that the coolermaster is not a PWM 4 pin fan, so it would be my advice to research into if it will work before you buy one to avoid disappointment.