Fan Controller

joker375

Gold Level Poster
Evening Gents,

Looking for a bit of help. I am looking to add a couple more Case fans(not good with PC Components at all, day job=mechanic :L) so I am thinking seen how I have the spare cash I would add a fan controller and two more case fans to keep the components nice an cool.

Questions I have are as follows

1. Is it as simple as installing the controller under the CD drive and plugging each fan into it's own controller?
2. Will the existing case fan that is in there at current (Coolermaster fan) be universally compatible with different fan controllers?
3. Best fan controller & fans to get?

Cheers guys :)!

steaky360

Installing a fan controller is really simple, it might however not be necessary depending on how many fans you want to add and how many case fan pins your mobo has. They usually sit in the 5.25 bays (cd/DVD) and plug into your PSU via a moles connection (you will most likely have a spare one somewhere :))

Most fans are either 3 or 4 pin fans and will be universally compatible with the fan controller, although you might want to replace your current case fan with the same type as your extras for cosmetic reasons besides the noise factor (if that sort of thing bothers you).

I would recommend bitfenix they do excellent fans and fan controllers. Take a look at their site and you can pick one which is most suitable and within budget. The fans they do are also top notch and renown for being high quality and quiet.

Corfate

Author Level
Exactly what Steaky said, very easy to install. Tom has a Lamptron one that he recommends (I think!), i went for the slightly cheaper Scythe (See pic below).

kazemasterpro.jpg

If you're wanting to install more than 1 fan per channel, make sure the channel can output enough to power more than 1 :)