Fan error on startup and Blue screen of death - can my pic be saved?!

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Hey all,

It's been a while since I've posted here, most of which I put down to PCS service being first rate and rarely needing further support!

However as per the title, I do need some now unfortunately.

Several weeks ago I started receding a 'CPU Fan error' on every single startup.
As suggested, I press F1 to get into Setup and there it shows the fan speed as red and too low
IMG_6404.jpg

If I just leave it for 30 seconds, the fan speed builds up and goes green at 600 (I think?).
I've googled and made sure it's plugged into the correct fan port on the mobo and some have suggested just turning the warning off which seems crazy to me?
So first off, is there a fault with the fan or what?

Secondly a few days ago I got the blue screen of death :(
Didn't get a picture in time, but it just reset and seems okay now but obviously blue screen isn't good!
I was wondering if it was worth wiping the pc clean, as if it were brand new?
Would that help?

Any help / advice here would be much appreciated!

Edit. Sorry, should have mentioned, it's about 5 years old
Core i5 cpu
Hdd and self installed ssd
GTX 570 gpu
Will confirm full spec when I'm home tonight

Thanks
Elliot

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My first guess would be that the fan needs cleaning, it sounds like dust may have got into the bearing and that's what slows it. The fact that it speeds up slowly supports this I think. It might be too late to simply clean it and a new fan might be a better option.

My guess is that the BSOD is related to overheating because the fan isn't cooling properly?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Personally I'd say it depends on which cooler you have? Asus boards have very high default thresholds for the CPU fan and will flag a warning at 600rpm. Most modern tower coolers including the noctuas amongst others run at extremely low RPM as they're just incredibly efficient.

I manually reduced the threshold on my asus board to accomodate a noctua as it kept flagging it, but the cooler was working perfectly.

Whilst you still have the issue, monitor your idling temps to make sure that the cooler is working ok, if it is then manually edit the CPU fan threshold.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

So my setup is:

NZXT Phantom 410 Black
Intel® Core™i5-2500 Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£69)
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)

I assume the only one to really focus on here is the CPU cooler.

I'm happy to get a new CPU cooler if it means reducing chances of any damages!

Is there one in particular that would fit my build well?