Fan making terrible noise

taetae

I've had my laptop just under a year, about 11 months. At the start it ran quiet as a mouse but gradually got louder with the fans and dust. I had to open up my chassis last week as I had a problem with my wireless adapter. So I took this opportunity to spray some compressed air in my fans and give it a clean. This was about 7 days ago.

Now last night when I got back from Golfing I started the baby up and the fan is just making this horrendous noise. Not a noise like a fan hard at work, but one that sounds stuck or loose. I opened her up and checked to see if anything was loose, and it wasn't. I unscrewed the fan and took it in my hand trying to see if there was anything caught, nope. I did try and spin the fan with my finger and it would make the exact same noise that appears to be happening when I turn my computer on.

I recorded the sound with my phone and have attached it here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
View attachment fan.zip

steaky360

You could try removing the fan and putting it back in, see if something is caught somewhere, that will also ensure everything is sufficiently tight etc.

Failing that you might want to see if PCS will send you a replacement fan. Sounds like that one might be goosed.

taetae

You could try removing the fan and putting it back in, see if something is caught somewhere, that will also ensure everything is sufficiently tight etc.

Failing that you might want to see if PCS will send you a replacement fan. Sounds like that one might be goosed.

Do you mean the actual spinning fan inside the fancase? I haven't got a screw with a small enough head to fully open the fan at the moment, as far as I can tell everything is OK with it