Fan speed

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
Ive just got my laptop for 2 days now and after benchmarking I have noticed the thing hardly ever hits the max fan speed which is really bad as Im getting temps of 98c on the cpu, the fan for almost all the time will spin at a much slower speed. Thoughout my stress test with Prime 95 (maxes out all the cores) the cpu never once hit the max speed and during a 3d mark 06 run it hit the max speed once or twice for a few seconds.

My thoughts are that it most likey is to do with the BIOS setting, my current bios (as seen in system information) is 4.6.4 and my SMBios is 2.7, my laptop is the W150HRM/Optimus II 15", wanted to ask if this was the recommend BIOS or if there was a new version out.

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
Dropped them a message, hope its not a big problem, to scared to even paly games on my laptop right now.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
its fine, laptop processors as far as i know are designed to withstand higher temps compared with desktop processors, i think they have a limit of over 100c, probably 110/120

i think there may be a turbo mode on your laptop where the speeds are higher compared to before, but still go up and down at the same time as temps

AndyL

I would heavily disagree, 98 degC is extremely high, I would definitely be giving PCS a call! However I would open up the bottom of the laptop first and check that the heatsink is seated properly. Remember electronics dont like heat, so the hotter it runs, the less time it will last.

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
I would heavily disagree, 98 degC is extremely high, I would definitely be giving PCS a call! However I would open up the bottom of the laptop first and check that the heatsink is seated properly. Remember electronics dont like heat, so the hotter it runs, the less time it will last.

Opened it after the first time, everything seemed fine. I thought maybe the fan wasnt getting enough power but it all seem'd fine.

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
Fan speeds on these laptops are really bad, today It decided to not spin pass its lows setting while playing Skyrim :S, had to reset it and then it finally decided to work properly. Dropped PCS a message on 24th still no reply so I guess ill give them a call during my lunch break tomorrow.

Bullseye

I think this is a better place to post my concerns. I got my Optimus II a couple of days ago, and while I am used to a silent netbook (really silent), I do hear a constant fan movement in this laptop. I wonder if this is the lowest fan speed and the quietest setting or if it can go lower.