Faulty RAM?

MicSve

Hi all,

4 days ago I upgraded my RAM by adding two additional 8GB sticks so that I now have 4 x 8GB (32GB) in total.
After switching on for the first time I immediately got 3 beeps and yellow MB lights to indicate memory issue but strangely the PC just restarted and then booted successfully after which everything worked without any issues - RAM was showing correctly in Task Manager/BIOS at 3600 MHz etc.

The last couple of days when switching on the system, it has gone through the same loop of 3 beeps/yellow lights followed by reboot and success post/boot to windows and I have done a lot of gaming without any issues whatsoever.

However, when switching on the system last night it continued in the above loop until eventually it booted into BIOS safe mode, with reduced memory speed. I have tried to re-install the RAM and it is now back to the same loop where I can boot to windows at 3600MHz and the system seems fine.

I ran Memtest when I received the system in August and had no errors at the time. I decided to run it overnight with the new additional memory and I got 2 errors ( see below link)

I suppose this would indicate faulty RAM or is there something I could have missed? I read somewhere that you may not be able to run at 3600MHz when using all four RAM slots or is that rubbish?

Full Specs below:

Case
FRACTAL MESHIFY C BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB) *NOW 32GB (4 x 8GB)*
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
yes it could possibly be faulty or maybe not matched, maybe worth removing the original RAM and puttining just the new RAM in and try booting and see what happens, if it boots ok then you know its not the RAM faulty

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
There is most definitely a problem there. The failing addresses are in two different RAM sticks, though given they're probably operating in dual channel mode it could just one one stick that's flaky. The only way to know is to run Memtest on each stick on their own.

It could still be a matching problem as @Martinr36 suggests. Even though they have the same specs, matched RAM generally comes from the same wafer, and if you're pushing the RAM to 3600MHz tiny subtle differences can matter.

MicSve

Thanks both.

I will try and run Memtest now on each stick separately to isolate the potentially faulty stick.

Bizarrely, I have shut down and restarted the system three times this morning (to test) and it has booted successfully straight away all three times with no restart loop :unsure: - Does RAM have a "settling in" period 😄

MicSve

Okay, so have spent the last 24 hours or so running a variety of Memtests (which has been pretty educational) and below are the results:

1. Ran test for each individual stick, with it placed in the recommended B2 slot for single RAM module = All 4 sticks passed test with 0 errors
2. Ran test for my "old" ram in the recommended A2/B2 slot combination = Test passed with 0 errors
3. Ran test for the new ram in the A2/B2 slots = Test failed with 2 errors (see below result)

Based on that I think I can conclude that the new RAM is faulty and I will be returning them to PCS for replacement.

I must admit, after having completed step one, I was pretty confused but reading the below thread and the Memtest troubleshooting understand that it is not uncommon for faulty RAM to pass an individual test but fail when tested together.

https://forums.passmark.com/memtest86/41370-memtest86-errors-but-all-ram-is-fine-out-of-options

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Okay, so have spent the last 24 hours or so running a variety of Memtests (which has been pretty educational) and below are the results:

1. Ran test for each individual stick, with it placed in the recommended B2 slot for single RAM module = All 4 sticks passed test with 0 errors
2. Ran test for my "old" ram in the recommended A2/B2 slot combination = Test passed with 0 errors
3. Ran test for the new ram in the A2/B2 slots = Test failed with 2 errors (see below result)

Based on that I think I can conclude that the new RAM is faulty and I will be returning them to PCS for replacement.

I must admit, after having completed step one, I was pretty confused but reading the below thread and the Memtest troubleshooting understand that it is not uncommon for faulty RAM to pass an individual test but fail when tested together.

https://forums.passmark.com/memtest86/41370-memtest86-errors-but-all-ram-is-fine-out-of-options
I think that's pretty conclusive. You've shown with your old RAM that the A2/B2 slots are ok so it has to be the RAM itself.

@Nursemorph, it is perfectly true that a Memtest pass doesn't prove that your RAM is good - but a Memtest fail does prove that the RAM is bad. :)

MicSve

Got my replacement RAM through today from PCS and starting to worry that I have a bigger problem.

Installed the new RAM along side my old RAM and got the same issue with re-boot cycle until it eventually boots into Bios in safe mode. As it does this it reduces the memory frequency to 2133 MHz, which works (writing this using the new RAM).

Then tried a couple of additional tests:
1. Placed new RAM in A2/B2 slots and removed old RAM. Boots with no issues at 3600MHz
2. Placed new RAM in A1/B1 slots. Get boot error and re-boot cycle until it eventually safe boots bios
3. Placed old RAM in A1/B1 slots. Results is as in test 2 above.

So I can conclude that both sets of RAM can handle 3600MHz in the A2/B2 slots with no issues, but only work at 2133Mhz when placed in the A1/B1 slots.

Does this mean there is an issue with the A1/B1 RAM slots or am I missing something in my Bios settings?

MicSve

Found these two posts which is exactly my problem, but none of them come to a conclusive answer :eek:

MicSve

Done a bit more testing.

Basically I have gradually increased the memory speed in the Bios from 2133MHz upwards with all 4 ram sticks installed and it seems stable at 3000MHz with no boot errors and windows working fine.

From what I can read on various forums it looks like I am not the only running struggling with running 4 sticks on Asus motherboards. Interestingly, I can see that there are a number of Bios updates (some in Beta) that talk about DRAM stability (see below) so maybe this is resolved with a Bios update?

Also, would there be a big performance difference between running 3600MHz compared with 3000Mhz? If not, I may just stick with it. It is that or back to 16GB.

1607108145293.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Done a bit more testing.

Basically I have gradually increased the memory speed in the Bios from 2133MHz upwards with all 4 ram sticks installed and it seems stable at 3000MHz with no boot errors and windows working fine.

From what I can read on various forums it looks like I am not the only running struggling with running 4 sticks on Asus motherboards. Interestingly, I can see that there are a number of Bios updates (some in Beta) that talk about DRAM stability (see below) so maybe this is resolved with a Bios update?

Also, would there be a big performance difference between running 3600MHz compared with 3000Mhz? If not, I may just stick with it. It is that or back to 16GB.

View attachment 20171
A BIOS update maybe worthwhile although not to a Beta version. You need to contact PCS for any BIOS update so they're aware otherwise it will void your warranty.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It does sound like there may be a hardware issue with your B1 / A1 slots, but best to contact PCS and relay this to them. It's possible a BIOS update will address it, unfortunately Asus give extremely little information as to what's addressed in each BIOS revision.

MicSve

It does sound like there may be a hardware issue with your B1 / A1 slots, but best to contact PCS and relay this to them. It's possible a BIOS update will address it, unfortunately Asus give extremely little information as to what's addressed in each BIOS revision.
Yes I think I will give them a call in the morning and see what they suggest.

System has been working fine at 3000Mhz all evening but strange that it is happy with 3600Mhz with two sticks but not 4.

MicSve

Strangely my ram (cm4x8gd3600c18k2d) does not appear on the Qualified Vendor List for the motherboard?

Will see what PCS say tomorrow and report back

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Strangely my ram (cm4x8gd3600c18k2d) does not appear on the Qualified Vendor List for the motherboard?

Will see what PCS say tomorrow and report back
It's likely an OEM part number rather than consumer, I wouldn't worry about that, it's used on all systems so proven to work fine.

MicSve

Spoken to PCS and it is quite common to have problems running 4 sticks at 3600MHz.

The advice is that I install the latest bios version (1216) at it specifically address DRAM compatibility, which I will give a go later on today

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Spoken to PCS and it is quite common to have problems running 4 sticks at 3600MHz.

The advice is that I install the latest bios version (1216) at it specifically address DRAM compatibility, which I will give a go later on today
Just a note/advice to others reading this thread and thinking of trying the same BIOS update. You still need to ensure that PCS know you plan to flash your BIOS before you do it to be sure of keeping your warranty. :)

MicSve

So installed the latest Bios version (which is a beta) as recommended by PCS and definitely seen an improvement but it is not 100% there yet.

Managed to boot several times with all 4 sticks of ram at 3600MHz and use the system with no issues. However, generally if I turn it off and start it back up again it will hit the same issue.

I have now reduced the speed to 3200MHz, which seems to have stabilised it at boots too.

During my "struggle" over the past days I have found lots of people online who seem to have the same problem with Asus motherboards, so maybe this will be fully addressed in the next full Bios update.

Will run a memtest overnight to see what it finds.

scarpa1

Enthusiast
So installed the latest Bios version (which is a beta) as recommended by PCS and definitely seen an improvement but it is not 100% there yet.

Managed to boot several times with all 4 sticks of ram at 3600MHz and use the system with no issues. However, generally if I turn it off and start it back up again it will hit the same issue.

I have now reduced the speed to 3200MHz, which seems to have stabilised it at boots too.

During my "struggle" over the past days I have found lots of people online who seem to have the same problem with Asus motherboards, so maybe this will be fully addressed in the next full Bios update.

Will run a memtest overnight to see what it finds.
When my PC came I hadnt noticed my Ram was running slow until some pointed out on here after I did a Firestrike test.

I couldnt get all 4 3600 sticks to run at 3600 even though the DOCP was set at 3600mhz, all 4 ran at 2133mhz. Never had any start up problems or error codes, just always ran at 2133mhz

I managed to get it all running at 3600 by lowering to 3200, save and restart, then onto the next value until I got to 3600mhz and since then it has ran at 3600mhz. That's all I altered, nothing else.

Its a asus 570 strix MB. Not sure what version the bios is, just whatever PCS set it out as.

MicSve

When my PC came I hadnt noticed my Ram was running slow until some pointed out on here after I did a Firestrike test.

I couldnt get all 4 3600 sticks to run at 3600 even though the DOCP was set at 3600mhz, all 4 ran at 2133mhz. Never had any start up problems or error codes, just always ran at 2133mhz

I managed to get it all running at 3600 by lowering to 3200, save and restart, then onto the next value until I got to 3600mhz and since then it has ran at 3600mhz. That's all I altered, nothing else.

Its a asus 570 strix MB. Not sure what version the bios is, just whatever PCS set it out as.
I have kind of gone the other way by going from 3600MHz down to 3200MHz where it stabilised

Overnight memtest showed errors so will do some more tests....

MicSve

I think I have exhausted the amount of testing I can do and would be good to get everyone's view on what I should potentially do next.

In summary, I have learned the following:
1. both my old and new ram sets ( 2 sets of 2 x 8 GB) work fine in slots A2/B2 at 3600MHz
2. When I put either set in slots A1/B2 I get boot errors until I reduce the speed to 3266 MHz
3. I can have all four sticks in the machine and boot at 3266MHz and the system appears stable, however when I run memtest the errors quickly rack up - I got more than 7000 errors in just under 40 mins of testing - see link below

So my conclusions are the following:
A. The Ram does not appear to be faulty based on point 1 above
B. The bios for the Asus B550 board is not yet stable and a future update may resolve it, or
C. I have faulty ram slots / motherboard or potentially CPU

Therefore I either RMA the system or wait for a Bios update. Or potentially try and see if I can get hold of 2 x 16 GB sticks, which may work in the A2/B2 slots.

What do you guys think?