Feedback on this custom Skyfire IV

Toonarmy

Hi so I am looking to get a new gaming laptop I have had a look on the website and think I have come to a decision on what I want and would like your feedback on what you think and if it will be good for gaming :)

The "14 Skyfire IV
Intel core i5-4210m
8GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX850M Direcx11
Also with the operating system I am not 100% sure on whether to stick with windows 7 or go for the new windows 8.1

So what does everyone think will theses specs be good for most games?

Toonarmy

Thanks for the info ya my budget is really around £700 with all the extra stuff I added it came to £695 that with the special thermal glue stuff, extra charger, 30 day dead pixel support etc. The laptop will be used for gaming mostly do you think this graphics card would be able to run most games at high? my mate just got this laptop and he can run Battlefield 3 on extreme also because that is the only graphics card option is there anything else u would recommend for around £700 that would be great for gaming?

EDIT also thanks for the link that does help and it does look good considering my laptop iv been using for gaming the past couple years has Intel HD 3000 XD so im used to playing on low setting with around 20fps if im lucky and that's fine for me so looking at the FPS for those games looks great but still what would u recommend for another graphics card/laptop?

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Demanding games at high settings it will struggle unless you lower the resolution. For your budget a desktop will be a better gaming system

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
For a gaming laptop you will want to be at least getting close to a 1k budget.

Now if your used to gaming on integrated graphics the 850m will blow those away. If your maxed out budget wise then I would say just play the games on 'medium'. They will still look brilliant and you will get decent FPS. 20FPS isn't playable (imo), 30ish would be. have a look at that link and see how you feel about those numbers on the games you would play.

As far as recommending a different card goes, I probably cant. Not on that budget at least. If you just looking for something that works for mid level gaming then your spec will suffice. it wouldn't please a hardcore gamer, but if your used to integrated then it will be awesome.

Toonarmy

Okay thanks for the info ya those games on that link medium the FPS is well over 30 which is outstanding for me and most of those games on high is still 30 or more and im used to 15-20 fps so that's perfect for me thanks ya I know gaming laptops are very expensive but im sure this one will be perfect for me cheers for ya help :)

Toonarmy

Also one more question because this is a notebook not a laptop will that hinder my experience playing games at all? never had a notebook before

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
They are slightly different, notebooks tend to be smaller and lighter with ultrabooks being ever more extreme. The only drawback is likely to be battery life and of course the 14 inch screen is fairly small. You can't really game properly on battery anyway so its not such a huge issue, if your happy with the display size I don't see anything wrong with it.